Think of those who can't "stock up"

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Mar 14, 2020.

1. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I think... I think I'm going to go panic buying tomorrow...

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That beginning was a few days ago. Well Duh! You have not wandered up and down the grocery store aisles have you?

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think many of us would be shocked at how little food is actually in some peoples homes. they rely on fast food or carry out regularly and don't have a weeks worth of staples in the cupboards. many have no idea how to even make bread.

Jewell likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I think so too Carolyn. Very few people I know actually cook from scratch anymore and don't keep the ingredients in the house.

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  5. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I think we are a few days behind in Canada, but quickly catching up.
    I went out again today at noon, while there were SOME things out of stock, I did manage to get some TP!
    But as far as I can tell "mass panic buying" has not started (not here, not really), still, plenty of everything ( expect TP ).

I think this virus is going to get MUCH worst, all over the world, I expect the numbers ( https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries ) to double every 5 days for the next 50 days. and that's with social distancing and all that jazz, and the so panic buying is also going to get much worst, as we appear to lose control over the situation.

this is just the beginning

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, we still have a bit of frozen veg in the freezer yet...so it looks like it will have to be beans and corn for breakfast if there's no more bread to be gotten.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My husband says that if we are ever invaded by an army, we could feed them out of the freezer's contents! I always have a large amount of bread frozen. I called a couple of friends and am taking them bread, frozen chicken vegetable soup, and eggs today. Even our small local grocery has run out of some things, and both of these friends are afraid to go out of their houses for fear of catching the virus. I'll probably just leave their packages on their front porch, ring the doorbell and shout my name, and then leave. I refuse to live in fear, but understand others who do.

Sjoerd, Jewell and carolyn like this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

s, you can make bread too. stay healthy.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are right Carolyn, in fact my Bride makes good bread. We haven't thought about that though.
    You and yours stay healthy too.

carolyn likes this.
  10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    As the virus is ramping up here on the west coast, my feeling is people are getting used to the new “normal”. Fear is normal, how we deal with the anxiety may cause shows a lot about the individuals and how they deal with stress. Am texting friends to see if others might enjoy visiting on Zoom.

My son works at one of the local hospitals as a cook. They have prepared employees to be ready to be quarantined at the hospital. He packed a bag to keep in his car.

We live in interesting times for sure.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not surprised that many do not know how to make bread. Neither my Mom nor my Grandmother made their own bread (gramma was born in 1910 and her mom didn't make bread either). It is not a talent passed down through my family or many others when store bought became cheap and convenient for city folks. I taught myself not long after I graduated from high school in 1964 and no it was not taught in home ec. classes in the 50's and 60's where I grew up. But we did learn how to identify Chippendale (not the male strippers) furniture from Queen Anne and Hepplewhite .....fat lot of good that did me.

Adam, aren't you just a 'bleeping' little ray of sunshine!

Jewell likes this.
  12. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

just doing my part!

[​IMG]

lmao

carolyn likes this.
  13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    People are putting away much of the early fears here. Being cautious but looking after each other. Am taking some dog food and a few extras to the food pantry. So often people have to make such hard decisions (and pets might be one) so everything helps. Hope your community resources are meeting the needs. We are all so reliant on each other no matter what our circumstances. Hope all individuals get to feel that interconnectedness. :heart: :like: :heart:

adam.ca and marlingardener like this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh my, I hadn't thought of pet food. I"ll pick up some smaller bags Monday and drop them off at the pantry. Thank you for the idea/reminder!

Jewell likes this.
  15. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I was buying things anyway. I work in a school and this is the first school district I've ever worked that doesn't pay 12 months. So I was buying dish and laundry soap, cat food, shampoo and toilet paper, in preparation for the summer months. So I will continue to buy the one extra of each (well except toilet paper since our shelves, here, are still empty) for the last however many more paydays that I will get. I saw a you tube video where a woman bought out the dollar store of all their paper goods. That, to me, is ridiculously selfish.
    But on the bright side I have plenty of time to plan and start my gardening!