Think of those who can't "stock up"

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Mar 14, 2020.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to our forums Willow and I look forward to learning all about you. :)

2. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I have always made my own bread. My mom used to tell me I should have been born 50 years earlier. My home ec class did teach bread and pizza dough baking and canning. (Early 70s). But I had the same teacher that my mom had. So maybe that was the difference. My brother lives about 3 miles from what I call ground zero in Kirkland Washington. Luckily, he and his wife did and are taking this seriously.

3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Thank you Eileen

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Willow, making your own bread is so much more than just "having bread." Home-made tastes better and you can have varieties that are just not available commercially, even in specialty shops. I bake a lot of bread, and enjoy the process, the baking, the scent of bread in the oven, and especially the taste!
    What kinds do you bake?

Advertisement
  5. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

that's just silly! they really should have ( Max 2 per client ) for a bunch of things, its easy enough to cheat such a system, but it probably would prevent these extreme cases of lunatic buying.
    I heard a story of some couple buying 1000's of hand sanitizers ( at retail stores ) and then trying to sell them for double the price on eBay, they were stopped and now they have 1000's of hand sanitizers and no hope of re-selling them. lol I almost feel bad for them.

Jewell likes this.
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Welcome Willow, I’m In the south Puget Sound region like your brother. Retired from working in the schools a couple of years ago. Enjoy the Stew :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I mostly make whole wheat, but I switch it up now and then. I had a recipe for pioneer bread, but lost it in one of my moves. I loved that recipe. Yes, the smell of baking bread is the best. I made cinnamon rolls the other day.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

OK Folks,, thats enough ! Now I am hungry for home made bread and I am not about to start it at 9 PM !
    :(

9. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

So Mart, did you get some bread made?

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Okay, I admit I'm compulsive. Today was rainy and cold, so I made some butterscotch pecan cookies, and a batch of crescent rolls. Our freezer overfloweth, so I'll take cookies to the staff at the local "old folks home" and the crescent rolls to friends who won't/can't go shopping.
    Mart, I do hope you got some homemade bread. If anyone deserves it, you do!

Jewell likes this.
  11. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

everyone else being forced to wash hands and sometimes line up single file in order to enter the store? they are limiting the number of people in the store, and this creates lineups outside.( line ups outside seems to defeat the purpose, but ok. )

make sure to spray bleach on the cookies to decontaminate them! lol jokes.

I think no one could have predicted this would be happening 2 months ago. it's a pretty crazy situation...

Jewell likes this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I had a pretty full pantry when this started....hubby is a government employee and every year at budget time the D's start threatening to shut the government down if they do not get their own way. Government shuts down then several thousand employees do not get paid for the time off and usually there is no after payment to make up for what we didn't get during the shut-down. But on the bright side, they do send out a letter you can make copies of to send to your landlord, mortgage company, utility companies, holders of your car loan, etc. requesting that they do not make matters worse...but some of those providers could not care less about the problem....they want their money,.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  13. mart

mart Strong Ash

So Mart, did you get some bread made?

Next day I made cinnamon rolls,, can`t eat them myself but hubby liked them !!

Jewell likes this.
  14. mart

mart Strong Ash

We are lucky that money is not a problem and everything we have,, we paid cash for including the three cars ! But it has not always been this way ! Here in our small community we help each other so if we run low or anyone else does we share ! I finally scored toilet paper and eggs so i can do a month easy ! And if I need anything our local grocery store has call in - take out orders ! Call order in and they deliver it to your car !

Sjoerd, Jewell and carolyn like this.