Thinking of adding blackberry bushes to my garden....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by daisybeans, Mar 19, 2011.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm thinking of adding blackberries to my garden.... Has anyone got blackberries growing? They used to grow wild around here when I was a kid, so I hope that means I would have success. Is there anything special I need to know? How big do they get? Maybe I need two bushes.... The spot I'm considering is sunny and dry.

2. Loading...

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

daisy, we planted 3 'thornless' blackberry plants, a Scottish variety, several years ago and they are producing like crazy the last few years, after we moved them to another area where they get full sun. i haven't done anything for them except keep them well watered. i do plan on reading up on pruning them and ridding them of their dead canes, soon!

i really love the thornless varieties. even tho they're thornless, i am always waiting to get pricked! habit i guess! :D

DirtyDigits likes this.
  4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Yum! Yum! :drool: I can taste jam already!! :D

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

How big are they Bunkie? I think I'll look around the local nurseries and see what they've got.

(Sorry about your snow today...)

Stratsmom... to make jam you have to NOT eat all the berries right away, right? Hmmm, jam sounds doubtful!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Daisy thornless Blackberry plants usually grow upright to a height of 3 to6 feet. I trim mine right down after they've fruited and cut out any dead and old canes. They come back each year and produce loads of fruit.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Eileen, are they as wide as they are tall? Wondering about 1 or 2 bushes in the space I am thinking of.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

right eileen! ours are close to 6 feet tall, then they drape over and almost touch the ground.

i have 15 quarts from last year still in the freezer to make jam, and wine, out of, and pies and muffins! and we ate a bunch and i made a bunch of jam last fall! last year was the best year ever.

9. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

A row of posts with a single heavy wire you can tie canes (with twine) to, to keep them upright is a good thing.

Full sun, mulch and a hint of ruthless rototilling as they spread are a good thing.

Each year you will tie up new canes in the spring, and cut out old ones in the fall.

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Daisy ours do get as wide as they are tall but you can keep them trimmed back to the width you want - at least that's what I do. :-D

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I started some blackberries a couple months ago. I got the upright kind, but there will be thorns. The variety I have is Kiowa. Supposed to produce HUGE berries! I have them in a big container so they don't spread and will hopefully be easier to tend to. I noticed yesterday that they are flowering.... come on big juicy berries!

:-D

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

OK! Thank you all for the advice. Based on this, I think I will change the location to a spot where there is a fence to use as a support. It's also more out of the way so they can grow a bit more freely in between pruning. The original spot is practically in the midle of the yard. The new spot is going to require a lot of prep work though... Cherylad I'm encouraged that you're going to have fruit the first year. I'm going to shop around and see what I can find locally.

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Last year was the first year for mine !! I had enough from one vine to last us all winter and still have a couple of bags left !! I will make jelly from last years berries and freeze this years fresh crop !!

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Mart, that many berries from the first year? That is encouraging, if so. Was yours thornless or thorny?

15. DirtyDigits

DirtyDigits New Seed

Thornless Blackberries, my poor husband is going to come home in 2 weeks for vacation see my to-do list and be tempted to turn right back around and go back on the road. Thank you Bunkie! I didn't know there was a thornless variety![/quote]

16. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

you're welcome dd! i love the thornless blackberries, but, like i mentioned, i still wince almost everytime i pick berries and put my hand in the thicket...then i think, "oh no, these are thornless"! :D

welcome to garden stew! :stew2: