Thuja Tree

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Aderek, May 26, 2023.

1. Aderek

Aderek New Seed

Does anyone know if those thuja trees advertised as growing very big very quickly, really do, and how big do they get how fast?
    Would the roots be invasive?
    Thanks

MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there,
    I found this information that may be of help to you.

"If you’re looking for a fast-growing, easy-care evergreen to use as a privacy screen or hedge these trees are hard to beat.
    Plant several of them in a row and in just a year or two the lush, dense foliage will fill in to create the ideal living fence. But don’t overlook the many other ways you can use these thuja trees in both formal and informal garden designs. These versatile conifers are suitable for almost any purpose.
    Thuja trees provide security and beautiful privacy screens. This easy-to-grow evergreen comes in a wide variety of sizes, providing a solution for almost any landscape situation. Anyone with even a lime green thumb will enjoy growing thuja trees.
    They are said not to require pruning as they naturally grow in a columnar shape. However, if you are growing them as a hedge you will need to prune regularly to maintain shape. They can tolerate excessive pruning without any problem
    ."

4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I found this on thuja …The Thuja Green Giant is the perfect fast-growing evergreen for a privacy hedge or windscreen. Plant one every 5 to 6 feet and they quickly create a dense barrier. You can easily trim them once a year to your desired height. Left unpruned, Thuja Green Giants planted in rows can reach as high as 30 to 50 feet.
    I also have many dwarf thuja trees that are a better fit for just a punctuation piece in the garden to drag the eye up..

I needed a wind barrier in an area to block the cold winter wind currents. I used evergreens…. 5 photinia trees . 5 Portugal laurels . 5 Leland cypress. Across one large area. Every Spring brings red leaves and white flowers on the photinia trees. White Flowers and berries on the laurels . Leland cypress bluegreen leaves . Spice it up a bit for a different variety of color and texture as well as they are all drought tolerant trees once established. Always add a soaker hose with a timer until the newly planted shrubs and trees are well established.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    eileen likes this.
  5. Haskell

Haskell New Seed

I have 20 Thuja 'Green Giant' that I planted on the back border of my property 3 years ago hoping to screen the interstate. They are in part sun conditions on the edge of a wooded area. They were 12" seedlings when I planted them and the ones in the most sun are probably only 3' tall now. I would guess that in perfect conditions they may grow as quickly as advertised, but I am not experiencing the "Three feet per year" claims.
    I think this article here https://thujasupply.com/blogs/thuja...huja-green-giant-by-region-and-hardiness-zone will be informative and helpful for you.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Haskell I agree any tree that grows three feet a year definitely is not in a climate with winters.
    The only tree that can grow at that rate is the Aspen and they are a nightmare for a number of reasons.