To Redo, or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Dean, May 31, 2007.

1. Dean

Dean New Seed

Okay so here's my situation. My house is about 15 years organic/pesticide free with natural, local plants. It's pretty hippy dippy. In keeping of the spirit of the previous homeowners decision to go this route, what would you suggest to do with my backyard lawn.

The lawn is basically a weed/grass that comes and goes with the seasons which can be unappealing. It takes a ton of water in the summer months to keep the dream alive, if you know what i mean. One thing that I absolutely need to do is Aerate the soil. Can I run a big aerator over my existing grass with out completely annihilating it?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Rolling an aerator over the lawn shouldn't hurt the grass. If it takes a fortune in water to keep it living during the summer, then what you have is not native grass. You could start checking out garden centers or landscapers who do use native grasses for lawns and see about replacing what you have.
    Native grass should be able to live on the water it gets thru natural rainfall with very little additional watering.

3. Dean

Dean New Seed

Good point. I guess I would say it's more of a weed disguised as a grass. At any rate, thanks for your advice toni