Tomato grafting?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by carolyn, Jan 17, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Has anyone grafted tomatoes or grown grafted tomatoes before? Any experience pro or con from anyone would be appreciated. I ordered supplies to do it. What my goal is is for a more disease resistant pink variety for the garden(which we grow every year, but is the hardest to keep growing due to its susceptibility to disease). I have several ones to try and am willing to take a stab at it, but was wondering if anyone has any tip, tricks or techniques that would be helpful. Thanks

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

What problems are you having with the pinks? I have never heard of grafted tomatoes being sold. What method are you going to use to graft them on?

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mart, I grow a variety from Stokes that is a very nice pink tomato, but very disease intolerant. We have to spray spray spray to keep it bearing to the end of the season. I ordered a specific root stock seed and tomato grafting clips. The root stock seed and the desired variety are started at the same time and then matched in stem size and grafted together. The intent is to grow a more disease resistant tomato due to the rootstock being much more vigorous than the un-grafted tomato variety.
    Many of the seed catalogs this year are really touting them, but they are cost prohibitive to try (in my opinion) to try very many of them to really get a great feel of the finished crop. I need to try more than one or two to get the real results of the experiment. more like 50 plants is my goal of success for the grafting.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

You are talking about a full graft where the tops are completely removed and the pink one is matched to the rootstock ? There is another method where you just cut into the stem, plant the graft, pull both plants together and tape them and let both continue to grow till the graft gets going and then you remove the unwanted top or leave it and have two types on one. I think it might be less iffy than a full graft but really havent tried it myself to see. Since I don`t have a problem haven`t had a reason to try. Used to piddle around with tree grafts just to see if I could. Its not really that difficult.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

that is it exactly Mart. I saw the other type of graft on a you tube video and thought I might try both kind, but I will probably accidentally cut off the wrong one, knowing me :rolleyes: .