Tomato Paste

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by waretrop, Sep 21, 2016.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Since I have been layed up all summer, I have done nothing to add to my pantry. Our garden is being hidden with weeds. So we captured about 1 and half bushel of tomatoes. I began cooking them down and decided I needed tomato paste more than anything. I could get enough to last for 4 years.

So it took 4 days. Toward the end I set my timer and stirred it every 4 minutes. so from tomatoes filling 2 20 quart pots it cooked down to 3 quarts.

tomato sauce.jpg
    after cooked half way and put in a 8 quart pot.

paste3.jpg Cooked down even more, Now at 3 quarts.

paste4.jpg
    That equals 26 quarter pint jars. Next the rings will be washed, then the jars will be washed. Then the jars will be labeled with date and put on the shelf.

Sjoerd, Frank, Philip Nulty and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW Baba that's fantastic. We use lots of tomato paste but, sadly, it's all store bought and I'll bet it doesn't taste nearly as good as yours does.

4. waretrop

When I run out, I buy it at stores also."SHHHHH! I never said that...." And it doesn't taste as good. but it is just a thickening agent. Your sauce should have the good flavors....

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

26 quarter pint jars,..very nice,..i use Tomato Paste quite a lot and would go wild with your stock,..like Eileen my paste is from the store,..it does the job,..not as good as home made paste.

I hope you are feeling better and mending well :like:,..be careful and don't over do things.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

I just thought it was easiest for my at this point and I needed it on my shelf. I am on the mend very nicely. I ended my therapy on my arm today and still have weeks more for my ankle. I walk pretty smoothly unless the ground is uneven. Then I cry....

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

That's great news Barb,..it takes a very long time for the ankle as its taking the weight and different pressures as you walk,..nice to know you ended the therapy on your arm,..here's hoping you have a full recovery soon.

waretrop likes this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Barb!
    So what's next on your list?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. waretrop

I will have onions coming out of the ground. They will either be diced and put I food saver bags for the freezer or I will cook them down and can them for french onion soup. I haven't looked at the beans to see what they are doing. I actually can't get out into the garden yet. My ankle doesn't want to shift sideways without causing me pain. So uneven ground is a no go for me right now. I make hubby go out and reap the harvest. We have bell peppers but you can't see the plant through the weeds. ;)

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Really nice posting and chapeau for all the work.
    You are a hard workster.

Philip Nulty and waretrop like this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Mine gets that way at the end of every growing season. But the weeds shade the ground and the vegetables so mine produces when others are burning up. Then we supply all the others that have a clean weedless garden. Weeds can be a good thing.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. waretrop

mart, That is what has happened to us. We always kept a weed free garden. My farmer hubby wouldn't want the neighbors to think badly of him....:snicker: The tomatoes have done better than any other year with all that work of staking and tilling....

He wants to give up the veggie gardens for he can't keep up with them.. the poor thing....

Philip Nulty likes this.