tomatoes from seed in a seed starter tray have scald

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Don Perry, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

I started a seed tray, tomatoes, bush beans, yellow squash, kale and leaf lettuce. Made the mistake of watering from above and put them outside on sunny day. The true leaves have turned a ashy color on the top side as if they are sunburned. Can anyone help. What can I do now.?

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yes they can sunburn ! Just leave them alone and keep them partially shaded,, they should not have been in full sun now ! They will recover or at least most do ! As seedlings they should be in full sun on a graduated basis !
    30 minutes to start,, the after a week or two an hour ! Ect,,ect !

Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

they should be okay. as long as the weather is warm enough I like dappled shade to put plants in if they are tender.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

Thanks people. I make a lot of mistakes sometime . Like most things , a little time will help.
    I'm in the middle of making a green house . I plan to do most of my growing this year in raised beds inside the green house. Going to have four raised beds 2ft x 8 ft. The green house is 10 X 20.

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

keep them away from Full sun till they look like they feel better and then start giving them full sun again, for 30mins at first then 1hour, then 2 hours, then plant them out in the garden on a cloudy day. IMO the best time to get the seedlings to use to the power of the sun is on a cloudy day, you can leave them in the sun for hours if it's cloudly.

but even when they are used to the sun, and full-grown plants, its best to water them in the evening, water droplets on leaves + full sun, is never good.

7. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

Now I have drowned the green bean plants. I watered everything and the beans just wilted overnight. I did so want to garden from seed this year.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

what did you start the beans in" garden soil or potting mix?
    were the needing water or did you just water them because you thought you should?
    was it cold or very warm when you watered? either can cause enough to stress them to wilt. watering wilted plants is a sure way to finish them off.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

OK,, you are in Oklahoma,, not much different from here in NE Texas ! Its way too early for green beans ! Let the soil warm a bit more ! Plant directly in the soil mid April ! Thats assuming its Blue lake or similar bean ! They do not like cool wet places ! Most just rot before they germinate if planted too early ! I had enough green beans to supply half our county ! Offered to give them to anyone that would come pick them ! Only one took me up on that ! 1/4 a row and they were done !
    What town are you in ?
    Some seeds do OK as starter plants and some just need to be in the soil !

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Jewell and adam.ca like this.
  10. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

its still early in the season isn't my season hasn't even started yet, the final bits of snow/ice is only going to be completely melted in a week or so, and then my last frost is like May 1st.

just plant more seeds you won't regret it.

Jewell likes this.
  11. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

The tomatoes have recovered somewhat . Looking a lot better. Somehow, 3 of my bush beans got broken stems and I will start over with those three. Squash is doing great.They are very tender. I have a whole tray of red onions that desperately need to be put in a bed. They look like they could bulb out right there in the tray. Wow.

12. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Hey Mart, I lived in NE Texas for 6 years. A little tiny Town called Ladonia. The biggest town that it's near is Greenville, or a little smaller college town is Commerce. Have you heard of any of them? My granddaughter started school in Wolfe City. I happened to be the mail carrier in Ladonia. I had to change professions because Texas pays into TRS for teachers, not Social Security.
    I never did get much to grow there. Asparagus, rosemary, basil and tomatoes. Oh yeah, and the wild garlic. Everything else I tried didn't make it through the heat of the summer, no matter how much I watered.
    But I loved honeysuckle season. The smell as I walked with my granddaughter, teaching her how to suck the "honey" and I always made honeysuckle jelly. It was such a pretty yellow.

13. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

I made my living and was born in Ft. Worth. I know where Ladonia is. Retired and moved away from those cities . Too much traffic.

14. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

We have already had a couple of 90 degree days here in central Ok. Got my onions and cabbage planted . Now to refine the first raised bed I built. Then I can put the tomato plants, green beans, and kale from seed into the ground.

15. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

I live in Ada, Ok. We've already had 90 degree days here. My Mom was born in Paris. Me, in Ft Worth . Lived after the Marines in Ft Worth for fifty or so years.

16. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I have pictures of my granddaughter and one of her best friends in front of the Eiffel tower in Paris. Her friend moved from Ladonia to Paris.