Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jul 26, 2017.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Well those cutting hit the dust...have so more now...

2ofus, Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

What happened to them ? My only cutting / sucker is growing a tomato on my neighbor's porch.

Philip Nulty, Sjoerd and hummerbum like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Growingpains, when we lived in upstate NY (zone 6a) we grew Rutgers and were very pleased with them for both eating fresh, and canning. Here in Texas, zone 8a or 8b, they don't do well.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, I also find the weather has much to do with the texture and taste of any tomato. Our best tasting tomato, so far, is the Cherokee Purple.
    I saved seed from the store bought Compari and I'm hoping the taste will be as perfect as when I bought them. No other tomato from the market has ever tasted so much like a home grown.

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I forgot to water it...lol. I was a little discouraged

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Gonna try hydroponics this time around...i really miss that method. Didnt pull rapunzel out..she has a sucker that's growing well. Black krim was sun scorched after a rain,while I was at work.

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am having a bummer of a tomato year. Blight blight blight. Leafless stalks. My tomatoes in pots on my patio in 1/2 day sun are doing better than those in the garden!

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Cayuga, do you put Epsom salts around your tomato plants? This morning, I put about a half cup at the base of each plant, scratched into the soil a little, watered. I dose them just about each two weeks. In spite of less rain, they're doing pretty well.

9. Cayuga Morning

Growingpains,
    No, I have never heard of that! It helps with blight? I will try it. This year a friend gave me tomato transplants. They were all heirloom. I suspect they are extra susceptible to blight.
    But, thanks for the tip. CVS here I come for Epsom salts.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Cayuga, I don't promise it will prevent blight, but it does supply ? Magnesium ? I believe blight is either carried over from previous years leaves and stalks or blown onto your land from some other area, Best read up on it. My brain isn't dependable.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Thanks GP. My understanding is that blight resides in the soil. Good clean up in the fall is essential as is removal of leaves as they succumb. It makes sense to me that the healthier the plant, the more it can withstand the onslaught of blight. I will try epsom salts. Thanks

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Cayuga, you're correct about blight being soil borne. However, I have set out tomato plants in areas where blight struck the previous year and had no problem. Just blessed I guess.
    I must have a neighbor who strikes while I'm sleeping. I had watered the far patch of 8 tomato plants last evening, salivating over 7 near ripe tomatoes which I would pick in the morning. When I went there this morning, two were missing and a third laying on the ground, apparently dropped in their haste to escape unseen. Losing a couple of tomatoes doesn't bother me, but the trust is more painful.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Growingpains, try the "guilt" solution. Offer a couple of ripe tomatoes to the neighbor, telling him/her that someone is stealing your tomatoes, and you'd rather he/she have them than a thief. If your neighbor has a shred of decency, he/she will stop taking what someone else grew. If not, there's always bear traps . . . .

14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, I love the bear trap idea, LOL but the problem is which neighbor? I live in a Trailer Park and have several neighbors.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

GP, I can't believe that!! Well, I mean I can, but that is awful. How about a motion detection device that would turn on a spotlight? Even if you sleep through it, it might scare the pants if them!

BTW, any chance it is critters? Raccoons or some such creature always bag a few of mine. They leave teeth marks, so it is obvious that it is an animal.