Took out a shrub, what to replace it with?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by TheBip, Jun 6, 2013.

1. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

The shrub in question is the Juniper just to the right of the front door. Ive disliked this shrub forever because it was prickly, made me itch and it was just too big. So 2 days ago, the bf helped me chop it down.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Im thinking using another evergreen shrub, but one that isnt a Juniper and wont get quite so big...
    Thoughts/opinions?

Cayuga Morning and donna in nc like this.
  2. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I don't know my shrubs or plants that grow well in your area. But I like to decorate. :) What if you put a birdbath with some flowers around it. Or this would be the perfect time to look for a cute peice of garden junque to place there with some cordinating flowers or plants. But looks nicer without the big shrub in the way. Good luck and post pic of finished product ok :)

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like the idea of the birdbath or how about a solar pump water fountain. Plant perennials around either one and you will have a very pretty entrance to the house. Besides that porch is too cute to cover up with another shrub.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

theBip, What a big improvement, just eliminating that too-big juniper! What is the tallish shrub/small tree to the right? Is it deciduous? If so, are you wanting a small evergreen in front for winter color?
    How about Cypress, Chamaecyparis pisifera? It is a Threadleaf false Cypress & it is slow growing. The tallest it gets to be is 3 feet. And what if you put it further to the right, in front of what looks like your chimney? I agree with Toni that your porch is a nice feature & its a shame to hide it.
    Another idea would be to go for a pencil shrub, like 'Sky Pencil', also in front of the chimney.

Advertisement
  5. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

How about lavender?, then you'd get some purple blooms too. Trim it back each spring and it will never get too tall.

6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

All the shrubs in this area are deciduous, thats why I was looking for an evergreen, for winter interest. This area is rather boring right now, though I am trying to fix it. I was also thinking maybe a large grass? I just cant make up my mind :/

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Bip I think I would plant a Weigela for some color in the late spring early summer. My Monet Sunset has leaves that are tinged in light red and the leaves turn a bright red in the fall. They are slower growing and usually do not get over 2-3 ft. Tall.
    You could also plant Goldmound Spirea. It's a really neat shrub that blooms but also it's foliage changes color threw out the growing season. After it blooms it can be trimmed back and it will bloom again. I do like the water feature with perennials. But then you won't have anything in that space during the winter.
    With a shrub you can always add lights to it at Christmas. I also thought a dwarf weeping cherry tree would look good. But I think they might grow to about 12' tall. But they also give you color in the spring, a neat looking weeping branch all year. Oh well, that's a few suggestions. Hope it helps. :stew1:

8. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Azalea, or a low spreading evergreen or that would be a perfect spot for a cute welcome sign, I have one it's a Gnome sitting on a bench, the back of the bench say's WELCOME

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I scrolled back and forth a few times looking at the before and after. I like it much better without the shrub... it opens up so many possibilities AND your entrance.
    Let us know what you decide on please.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Cherylad.

11. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ive been going through the local garden centers, trying to see if anything looks like it would work. Nothing has particularly interested me yet, but Im keeping my eyes open :)

Tooty, its funny you mention Weigela, we actually do have 2 already, theyre in front of the corner window. A dark red and a variegated (I took cuttings from it last year just for fun, and theyre doing well! Im surprised heehee)

12. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Yes . . . it looks 100% better with the big shrub gone . . . not to mention the safety issue with someone lurking on the porch. I like the idea also of a birdbath or lavender . . . but if you have your heart set on something for the winter . . . how does the nandina fair in your area??? . . . green with red berries for the birds, and some types have leaves that turn from green to orange to red . . . something for every season, and there are several different kinds . . . they grow pretty slow down here.