Totem How-To's - How to make a Glass Totem

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by cajunbelle, Jul 6, 2006.

1. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

It is really very simple. Collect your glass. I usually go to garage sales, thrift stores, good will stores etc. Keep it simple, small ones are going to be displayed on copper pipe.

[​IMG]

The totem in the middle could have done without the bottom piece (the blue and white piece.) It made it really too big, but that was my first one.
    It is really trail and error. Use GE Silicone II for windows and doors. Make sure none of the pieces will hold water. Do them in sections:

[​IMG]

The bud vase on the bottom will hold your totem on the pipe, it is siliconed into a small bowl, it just seems to work better in a bowl. I usually glue those two first and let them dry overnight. Then I glued the small angel figurine onto the bottom of the plate. Notice the plate is upside down in order to keep water from standing. I glued the glass over the angel. Let that dry overnight. The next day I glued the small glass to the vase/bowl assembly, let that dry then put it all together. The trick is to get enough silicone to form a water proof seal to keep moisture from forming in the pieces, but not so much silicone that it looks bad. If you use a saucer with embossed or raised designs on the bottom like the one in the angel totem it is possible for a good seal not to form. Like I said earlier, a lot of it is trial and error. Make some, put them in your yard and learn from any mistakes you make.

[​IMG]

The green one in this photo was used as a bird feeder, you can also use them as bird baths, just make sure your top bowl is not too deep, birds won't get in it if it is too deep. Disregard the big vases on the bottom of these, they are not part of the totem, I used them to stand the totems in to photograph. If the bud vase does not fit snug on the pipe, wrap clear packaging tape around the pipe where the slender part of the vase will fit. I hope this is clear, feel free to ask anything that you do not understand. And remember, you may find an easier and better way to do them.

AAnightowl likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have something started cajunbelle I am going very slow but am working on one .When I finish I will show you all.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That seems pretty well explained to me Sharon. You are great writing tutorials I must say. I like the idea of using them as a bird feeder ;)

5. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I think I see one of these delicate beauties in my future. Thank You. 8)

Advertisement
  6. flowergurl

flowergurl New Seed

Awesome

I just love making garden art and these are great! :D

7. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Just bought several pieces of glass at a resale shop. I let you know if it turns out.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Would love to see the results Glendann and Polly.

9. Shanna

Shanna In Flower

Very well detailed.Thanks now I know what to start looking for.New projects!!!

10. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

i'd gladly give it a try! :D hope i could build one before every glass breaks.. :D thanks for the ideas! :idea:

11. Frank

moderator's note: unlocked by request

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm glad you unlocked it Frank as I enjoyed making these and I'm sure the new Stewbees will love making these too.I would love to see bethie,s Hyperturfa explanation explained and the tippy pots unlocked too.

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I agree with Glenda... I think the newbies might enjoy reading and participating. Thanks for the un-lock!

14. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I forgot to mention, this is a good time to look for angels (if that is your theme) as stores have started to put out their Christmas ornaments. Also snowmen, western items, etc. Happy totem making!

15. Frank

Here is the Bethie's Hypertufa topic unlocked:
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about1779.html

If for some reason you want a topic unlocked then I'll be happy to oblige :)

16. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Thanks Frank.