Trail riders and old-fashioned wagons!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by dooley, Feb 21, 2012.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We started into town this afternoon. We just turned onto the frontage road for the interstate when we met up with the Montgomery County Trail Riders. There were people on horses and many, many mule drawn wagons. The people were having so much fun and we pulled to the side of the road and watched them go past. They waved and shouted greetings and we waved back. Then, I remembered I had stuck my camera in my purse so I could get some tree pictures.
    A few pictures for you to enjoy it too.

[​IMG]
    Trail riders ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Another group of trail riders ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Montgomery County Trailriders. ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

And off they go.

[​IMG]
    Trail riders. ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

dooley

Jewell, Philip Nulty and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Zigs
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Dooley. This was very interesting and you were there at just the right time....for us. I don't think there would be anybody up here doing that kind of activity...Maybe the Amish on their way to their Sunday meeting. If I ever get to see that I hope I have my camera just so everyone here can see it.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a wonderful happy circumstance--the trail riders and you with your camera! Thank you!
    I've always wanted a pair of mules. My granddaddy "broke" mules and I have an affinity for those strong, independent, and beautiful animals.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yep... that time of the year... trailriders, BBQ cookoff and of the the rodeo and livestock show.
    I was held up in "traffic" this morning as trailriders were getting their trailers, RVs etc into the local rodeo arena here.
    Then on my way home, I passed a small group of trail riders. I wish I had pulled over to take some photos because it was the funniest thing. The lead guy was texting while riding! :D My... how times have changed!

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I wonder what the people on the wagon trains heading west would have thought of the modern conveniences.
    These wagons had rubber tires and pavement to roll on for easy riding. They could have kept track of all the Indians on the warpath if they would have had cellphones. I wonder what the next hundred years will bring.

There is a man here in Madisonville who trains mules to pull these kind of wagons for trail rides.

dooley

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I once read that wagon trains averaged 10 miles a day. Looks like those in the pictures might get a little more. Fantastic that you had your camera with you. Great pictures.

Jerry

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jerry... I don't think they're moving that much faster today (open land vs. traffic?). I remember hearing that the trailriders are averaging between 15-20 miles a day. They stage at various locations outside of Houston. For instance, where I live, is about 50 miles from Reliant Center where the rodeo is held.
    So, they'd better be saddlin' up by sunrise to make sure they make it in time to get a good night's sleep before all the fun starts.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great pictures Dooley,..interesting as its a sight we would not see this side of the pond,..i noted all the wagons had rubber tyres/tires,..another sign of the times,..but Cheryl seeing the guy texting while on horseback had me shaking my head,..it was like when i was a youngster seeing a film with a cowboy in a truck.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

In Madisonville we have The Sidewalk cattlemens trail ride.the first weekend in June.the Rodeo also.People get ready for that weeks ahead.Thanks Dooley for having your trusty camera.Great pictures.

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Love the pictures. My GF use to raise draft horses. Seen some at fair.-feet big as Dinner plates-but so gentle. Had sale -people came for miles. wagons went VERY high also.

12. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Nice series!
    I ride my son's horse usually at least once or twice a week. It's nice "me" time.

13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ohhhh I love trail riding but haven't done that in over 20yrs as I do not own a horse anymore. :'( How neat with the wagons and riders. Thanks for the photo's. :stew1: