Transparency

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Sjoerd, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

IMG_3579.jpeg

Glaskruid (Parietaria) is a weed somewhat in decline here and in België. It is most commonly found in the centra of our historical towns and cities growing in old walls and on some sidewalks up next to buildings.

It’s name, Glaskruid literally translated is “glass herb”. Glass…what?! The leaves and stem, as well as flowers are not at all transparent, so why, glass?

Finally an answer:
    Back in the old days it was used to polish metal and glass over here.

2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Parietaria I looked it up and has medical uses. It doesn’t seem to grow in the US, even though it can be classified as a weed at least it’s one weed that won’t pop up in my garden. Phew..

Glass herb… polish glass very interesting.
    Pellitory common weed on roadsides and in gardens and thrives in cracks especially against walls. It is a common weed in Sydney suburbs. Can causes rash . Thankfully doesn’t grow in the US. As if we don’t already have enough irritating skin plants. Reminds me of stinging nettle.
    Native of Europe, central and western Asia and northern Africa.

Thanks for the info.

Have one for you. Urtica dioica
    Stinging nettle is a nutritious plant popular in Western herbal medicine. It may reduce inflammation, hay fever symptoms, blood pressure and blood sugar levels — among other benefits.

The leaves have hair-like structures that sting and also produce itching, redness and swelling - Stinging nettle.
    Once it is processed into a supplement, dried, freeze-dried or cooked, stinging nettle can be safely consumed. Studies link it to a number of potential health benefits.

I don’t care about the medical benefits I hate this plant . It grows everywhere in my garden thanks to the birds.
    I have been stung too many times and suffered the consequences of touch , not interested any relationship with its medicinal influences. It’s a thug.

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Such interesting information. I've never heard of that!

What properties did it have that made it a good polishing agent?

4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

From Tilia Urban Herbology. https://urban-herbology.org/tag/tilia/
    Could not find reference as to what properties the leaves have.
    Found this - article. It turns out it is related to the nettle family and translucent leaves glass looking.

IMG_7556.jpeg

Daniel W likes this.