transparent solar cell greenhouse roofing

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by Dirtmechanic, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

2. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I had thought about this since I heard that transparent solar cells were invented, (over a decade and a half ago).

Wonder why it took researchers this long to try it out? But at least they have now confirmed that it works. This actually would be most useful for urban rooftop greenhouses.

But where are transparent solar panels available? They still haven't reached the markets in a major way as far as I know.

By the way, this may be a bit off topic - But Photocatalytic Water Splitting is another subject in which I am very much interested, (as it promises to make everyone abundant in hydrogen). So this will completely deregulate the multinational petrochemical corporations.

http://solar.iphy.ac.cn/index.php/?page_id=1775&lang=en

If they can make this work properly, in the same way as solar panels are now easily available to anyone who wants to go off-grid - Then it would be a real game changer!

Just imagine - A world in which we never have to pay any electricity or fuel bill ever again. And also be able to grow our own food in such a greenhouse. Wouldn't that be really something!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

This would be awesome! I'm interested in cost. Can the average person afford to grow their own food supply? Not grain nor several
    food items, but greens are certainly a necessity to the diet.