Transplanting Germinated Seeds from Paper Towel to Soil

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Tigger03, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Tigger03

Tigger03 New Seed

I germinated pigweed seeds (in the amaranth family) using the paper towel method (see attached pictures) for an experiment. Do they look ready to be transplanted to pots? Also, any advice on how to transplant them without causing damage, how to place them in soil, what kind of soil to use etc.? Answering just one of these questions would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

:setc_034:Hi Tigger03 and welcome from Colima Mexico. I see a moderator moved your post to this forum from the Welcome forum. Did you forget to upload the photos of your germinated pigweed seeds because they are not showing here in case you are wondering why no one has responded. If a seed has a "tail", generally it can be transplanted to pots. Plant them tail down in a good starting medium. If the tail is very short you might want to plant them with the seed head level with the soil or whatever you are using. If the tails are quite long, i would plant them with the seed head above the medium. The medium should be moist, but not drenched. I am not familiar with pigweed seeds so they may have some special requirements i am not familiar with in addition to the above.