Trees/weeds growing near stump of dearly missed tree

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Matt23, May 22, 2020.

1. Matt23

Matt23 New Seed

We had to remove a tree several years ago that had partially fallen in a storm, and over time there have been a large cluster of new branches/stems growing out of one side of the stump. I have found more small trees/weeds like this popping up in other parts of my yard, so I'd like to find out if this is something I need to work to eradicate. I live in Massachusetts.

This picture #1 shows the large cluster of this plant, that now stands 6-7 feet tall, behind a different tree/plant growing in front of it.

upload_2020-5-22_12-14-12.png

Picture #2 shows the leaves of the tree/plant.
    upload_2020-5-22_12-20-49.png

I'm also curious about tree/plant in the foreground of picture #1. That one has very different leaves as shown here in picture #3:
    upload_2020-5-22_12-22-21.png

Thank you for your help! I will patiently await the news about how difficult my life is about to become. :)

Matt

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do not know a great deal about North American trees, but the foto of the leaves you gave make me think of hazelnut, beech and to a lesser extent, one of the Cornus species.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Matt, pictures #1 and #2 look like oak. If you want to keep an oak tree there, cut away the spindlier growth and leave one sturdy stem. Oaks grow fairly slowly, so be patient.
    I have no idea about the #3 picture, but if you take a cutting of stem and leaves sealed in a clear plastic bag to a nursery (not big box, but locally owned) they may be able to identify it, if no one here can.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with marlingardener. The dearly departed is an oak, and you may get a replacement from it's roots.

The second tree....I don't know. Does it bloom? Are there horizontal lines on the bark of the trunk?
    Is there a faint odor of wintergreen if you scrape some of the tender bark off a twig? It looks vaguely like a fruit tree.

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

The leaves in pic #3 look like a variety of elm ! We have a huge elm in our front yard and the leaves look the same as ours ! The first does look like an oak but there are several varieties so dont know which one !
    I am guessing white oak !
    https://www.google.com/search?q=white+oak+leaves&client=firefox-b&sxsrf=ALeKk027xJgmeAvB_u6M-3QNLfxD4EyfCg:1590192526948&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=RMfHS5p5nQ6F-M%3A%2C4Aqxeu4oxV17BM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQ0GvnpvpeB9MM_n58bVK3GlKSoGQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwitpMXl2MjpAhUM7awKHcmzB9AQ_h0wAHoECAYQBA#imgrc=RMfHS5p5nQ6F-M:

This may help you !

Looking at the pic #3 does it have berries that are small and green now ? Thought I could see some ! If so its likely a mulberry which have similar leaves depending on the variety ! I had one mulberry that had the split leaf on the bottom and leaves like yours on the top !

Last edited: May 23, 2020