Tropical/foliage plants, weeds, propagation

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by purpleinopp, Sep 24, 2012.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Absolutely love this site, the functionality and the folks! Really enjoying it and look forward to exploring more non-gardening sections when I have more time this winter.

I'm not sure which forum to use to discuss tropical and foliage plants that aren't grown for their flowers, or don't make any flowers, and aren't necessarily considered house plants (especially where they are hardy,) like Coleus, Colocasia, Perilla, Alternanthera, Hypoestes, sweet potato vines, certain Tradescantias...

I also wonder why there is not a weed or propagation forum? A question about non-seed propagation of a particular plant would fit in the forum for growing that type of plant, but where would a general discussion about propagation go?

And one other minor thing, for the visually challenged. I have a big monitor and my computer is set to what most people would consider a huge font, but something about this site won't allow the writing to enlarge. The tiny font is not easy for everyone to read. When I enlarge a page so I can see it better, I have to scroll sideways to see all of the writing. That doesn't happen on most other websites.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any input!

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I guess you/we could use the "Gardening Other" forum to discuss the Tropical and Foilage plants.
    Seems someone asked about a Weed Forum last year. I don't remember what the response was.
    And maybe the "Seed Starting" forum could be changed to "Seed/Propagation Info" or something like that?

I'm sure that Frank and/or the moderators will be along to address your suggestions.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi purpleinopp, glad to hear you are enjoying GardenStew. Your suggestions are very valid. Generally new forums are only added as demand builds up. This prevents lots of forums being added and remaining empty/unused. I do like your suggestions however so maybe we can experiment with adding one or two new forums this winter.

Possibly weeds can be an addition to the "Plant Pests and Diseases" forum i.e. becoming "Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds" forum.

A propagation forum could be a worthy experiment and as Cheryl said it could be added to the "Seed Starting" forum becoming "Seed Starting / Propagation". Thanks Cheryl.

I would have to do a small bit of searching to see if a foliage plant forum would fit. Leave it with me.

As regards the font size, it's funny as my browser was able to enlarge the font with no issues (I use Google Chrome). Which browser are you using purpleinopp?

Thanks for your suggestions/comments! :stew1:

5. purpleinopp

These are excellent solutions, to add weeds to pests forum, and add prop to seeds. Thanks for considering my humble suggestions. Totally agree that inactive forums are boring and this would make existing forums more comprehensive. Super! You guys rock!

I'm use FF, and my honey uses IE. I just checked IE, closing the browser between each experiment. No matter what the "view, text size" is set to, the writing here is always the same size. When one enlarges the font on an already loaded page (in either browser) it causes the writing to expand sideways, not wrap into shorter lines, necessitating sideways scrolling. It's been more than a decade since I messed with HTML coding but I think it's something in the CSS to ensure that the page looks relatively the same in all browsers. I doubt anyone would find it worth changing, certainly not to pander to just me, but just wanted to put it out there in case I'm not the only one. I probably need to investigate those programs that read the text to you.

Thanks & have a great day!

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Just a note to say that I have made these two changes :stew2:

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. purpleinopp

Thanks, Frank. Have a great day!

Frank likes this.
  8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You're the best Frank!

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I use FF, too, but my kids taught me to enlarge the print by holding the Ctrl button and scroll the mouse, it will enlarge/reduce the font. the problem is that the screen isn't big enough to read all of the text then, if you enlarge it too much.

10. purpleinopp

I have FF set to update automatically and Carolyn reminded me to check this again. Now the sentences will wrap until the page gets too big for that section to fit on the page, which is much larger than needed to read easily now. Very cool.