Trying to transplant roses in bloom

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Heatherkodiak, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Heatherkodiak

Heatherkodiak New Seed

I have a rambler and a few shrubs I want to take with me when I move. They are blooming now, is it a lost cause? I’m in a cold climate (Alaska) and so hard to find ones that thrive, but I’ve had them for 10 years and they are amazing. Help!

btw, I have to take them on a 16 hour ferry ride in my car, drive an hour, prepare the holes and put them in. I’ve never pruned them, but I’m willing to do anything I have to do!

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

where and when are you moving ? once dug i do not think the travel time will hurt as long as you keep the roots in moist potting soil or sphagnum moss !

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Do you really want my advice from Texas? If so, I'd prune back by about 1/2, put the roots in damp sphagnum moss and wrap in a plastic bag. As soon as you arrive at your new home, get them in the ground. There is a method called "hilling" in which the transplants are laid on their side in a trench, the roots and stems up to the first leaves are covered in moist soil, and held in the shade until they can be planted in their permanent home.
    After planting in their new spot, keep them shaded for a few days. Transplant shock is lessened if the plant isn't subjected to direct sunlight for a while.
    Mart is right about travel time not hurting--roses are shipped bare root by nurseries, and spend heaven knows how much time sitting in buildings and on postal vehicles.
    Good luck, and enjoy your new home!

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

yes,, they should be pruned as MG said !! as long as the temps are simiilar just plant as you would any new plant ! do not add fertilizer until you see new leaves and growth ! then only small amounts for a while !

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Welcome here. I lived in Alaska for five years at one point in my life. Such a beautiful state. And meeting the challenges of the winter climate was new for me.

To your question: It isn't the correct time of year to transplant roses, but if must needs be--then you will have to.
    I would trim your plant way back and remove some of the root ends and pack then well in a plastic bag for the trip. Keep a root clump with some soil on it. Keep this moist.

When you have arrived at your destination, soak those roots for at least an hour or two before planting. Use compost with a light feeding in january. If you can get hold of some mycorrhizal powder, use that on the root clump and in the planting hole before planting.

This is just my ideas and there are several folks on here that can add their thoughts as well. Good luck with your baby.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mart and Marlin have such good advice. The only thing that I would add is to perhaps remove some of the roots along with a serious pruning. I might even prune it more than Marlin would. You ought to soak the root balls in non-city water an hour or two before dropping them into their holes...as well as using some mycorrhizal powder, if you can get some.

I lived in Alaska for a number of years once. It is such a beautiful state and a nature-lovers' delight. My only challenge was getting used to living with the cold. I mean the little things that one must think of like not grabbing the door handle of your auto with bare hands. Ahh, it was an interesting experience. Welcome on here.