Turnips not growing

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Don Perry, May 18, 2020.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Be sure to water it after adding the fertilizer ! Or just broadcast it on top and wait for the rain in a few days !

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Did you get the fertilizer out for the turnips before the rain last night ? Do you have night crawlers there ?
    If so pick up as many as you can find and toss them into your turnip bed ! They improve the soil and add some fertilizer as castings !

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

I replaces the soil with a brand name garden soil and mixed in 13-13-13 fertilizer. Then I watered very heavy. I sowed fresh turnip seed and crossed my fingers.
    My onion bed is looking much better now that I've added the fertilizer. The beans, eggplant, tomatoes and squash are holding on , but I expect them to improve rapidly. I think I'm on the right track , Thanks to you guys.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

They will all improve with the fertilizer ! I fertilize every other week until the plants get about half grown ! They especially need it with any potting soil ! Most all vegetables are pretty heavy feeders ! A sprinkle of 13-13-13 will add to your harvest when the time comes !

Advertisement
  5. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

My kale got fertilizer burnt. I still have not been able to get green beans to grow in that off brand soil. It's been a very frustrating spring. A lot of work building the green house, then build the raised beds. then planting and everything just refusing to grow, or produce.

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Only way Kale could have gotten burned is if the fertilizer touched the roots ! Or you used way too much but even then its highly unlikely ! If the fertilizer is sprinkled on top of the soil and the roots are under the soil,, that aint it !
    I just toss it by hand and never measure,, some get more than others but have never had any to burn !

7. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

The kale had fertilizer in the leaves . It did rebound. I tore up the soil in the turnip bed and replaced with good soil, then reseeded it. I like turnips year round here in Oklahoma. The deer love it too.! Everything is settling down, but not producing yet. My squash have little squash about 2 inches long. The plant needs to grow larger to support any fruit of size.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Don`t worry about the squash !! These first fruits are usually small But edible !! They will catch up later ! Put these first ones in a salad ! Excellent !

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Don, how is your turnip soil doing now? Is it still we on the bottom?