TV above fireplace, too high up for comfort?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by nan1234, Nov 1, 2007.

1. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

I am thinking to install a flat TV above the fireplace in the family room too. But do you think it is too high to be comfortable? Also, I need to figure out how to intergrate other equipments into the wall. I need a convenient access to various sockets with other video/audio equipments. And I'd like to make the flat panel look like a picture frame and connected to a computer for multiple tasks such as presentation, photo show, internet surfing, game, etc.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

How high is the fireplace Nan? I think a lot depends on how far back you will sit from it also (i.e. neck angle).

4. monica

monica New Seed

Doesn't sound too high. How many feet is it above the ground? You need to place yourself where you would be watching the TV from and see if it comfortable to watch at that height. It will also depend on how far this is from your sofa/couch. Too close and the height may be a problem.

5. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

To high no way...ours is up at the ceiling (vaulted ceiling) because when we kick back in our chaise recliners(every evening) we are looking up, not down, see pics.below P.S watch extreme makeover home edition, they almost always have a plasma TV above the fireplace...
    pics of ours in media room:

Recliners in room, tv up on left in media room

Advertisement
  6. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

Thank you all for the reply. My sofa is about 14 feet away from the fireplace. Susie, you pictures are intersting and inspiring. We have two sofas and both have the recliner feature. The wall with fireplace is about 18 feet high. Perhaps I can hang the TV much higher :D. I wish there is a height-adjustable mounting system with remote control. That would be cool.

7. stacy131

stacy131 New Seed

Could you tilt the TV slightly to make it more comfortable?