UK frost warning

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by EJ, Apr 16, 2016.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Mother nature is getting on my very last nerve. After a lovely warm, springlike spell, the temperature has now plummeted and light snow and a heavy frost is predicted for us over night. I find it very unlikely that we will get snow, although a chum in Wales had a light covering over night, but I suspect we might get a frost and I am not going to risk my tomato,my quash and bean plants which are all residing in the greenhouse, so today I purchased some fleece and have been out and wrapped everything up. My greenhouse is full, packed to the rafters, which I hope will also help keep everything safe, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

ugh! I totally understand. We had a really nice most of March and then whammy! it was horrid for two weeks. COLD and freezing, snow, blowing, freezing! 4 inches of snow just last Sat. morning. it was below freezing by 6:00 Sat night ( I remember that very well as I was standing out in it watching the fire dept. get our fire out.) now it has turned nice and am hoping it stays nice. I am so tired of the cold. the greenhouse can hold only so much for so long. I hope it warms back up for you fast.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We had hail showers and snow yesterday. Thankfully the snow didn't lie for long as the temperatures dropped to minus two last night. Had to scrape the ice of the car this morning before venturing out. :( Today we've had sleet, sun, hail, rain and then more hail. Please send some good weather my way!!

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh dear...frost!?
    I hope that we do not get any of that over here across the channel.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Mother Nature has been rather moody here too. Right now we are (finally!!) having a warm spell, and that is fine with me!

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I just checked to see if I can go to the lottie, and saw that the forecast is for night frost for the coming four days.:crying:Waaaaaah.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Keeping my fingers crossed for you EJ. Mother Nature has been very moody lately.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Spring seems to bring some unpleasant surprises to all gardeners at times. EJ, I hope everything was safe in your greenhouse and that the weather will straight up. Sjoerd, I'm crossing my fingers for you in hopes that your weather man is wrong and if not, you can keep your plants safe. 4 days of frost is scary though.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks 2OF---so far, so good.
    The fleece is in place.