Upgrading Water Container Pond Question

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've been looking into upgrading the water lilies home. Since I have the space now, I want to give them more room.
    I was considering getting a preform but really don't want the pond in-ground because of all the critters. I then thought about raising it off the ground with blocks, etc.
    While at the farm supply store the other day, I spotted a stock tank that I think I'd like to use instead. It's oval. LDPE Plastic Material. My concern is that is black... Scared it would just boil the plants and fish with the sun beating down on it!
    Has any tried painting something like this? Would that Krylon paint for outdoor furniture work on it? Of course, I'd just paint the exterior.

2. Loading...

3. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I've used the Rubbermaid stock tanks many times with no issues, but we're probably not as hot as you are. I buried it half way once & stacked rock around it, you could do the same with brick.

I couldn't find the pic of the bigger stock tank, but the little round one in this pic is the same idea, got it at the farm store too.

[​IMG]

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Your area looks fantastic!
    But our ground is so hard right now, I'd have to use some heavy equipment to dig a whole that big! :D
    Plus the tank I was looking at has a drain spout, so I'd like to be able to keep that above ground for easy draining/cleaning.

5. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

Cheryl, Last year I had two large lilly pots on top of the ground, they were fine, it did require refilling quite often, every day as it got hotter. I have put them in the ground this year,

[​IMG]
    Water lily and Plumeria growing well ( photo / image / picture from featherphobia's Garden )

We had some trees cut down, I was told not to plant directly in the mulch left by the grindings. Best of luck with yours, I do love that privy door too!! :sete_036: it rocks