Using a Pond Clarifier Advice

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

when I was gathering all my stuff to build the old water pump pond/fountain, I picked up a container of Pond Clarifier because according to the label "Quickly cleans floating particles, cloudy & murky water... safe for fish". Sounded good to me.
    However, when I took it out to add to the "pond" I took the time to read all the label info. Now I'm not certain I should use it because it says that constant aeration is needed to keep the fish alive when using this product.
    Since I won't have constant aeration I did not add it.
    Has anyone else used this product with success without constant aeration? (Accu-clear by Pondcare)

2. Loading...

3. Waterbug

Waterbug New Seed

I used a flocculant once in a small test pond that was green but without fish. It did clump single cell algae together, it created a kind of green slime. It didn't really clear the water in my case, it was still green. Maybe I was suppose to added more. I added a quart to this 50 gal test pond. I didn't care for the result and found other methods that worked better for me.

4. cherylad

Hi Waterbug. Thanks for your input.
    What other methods do you use to keep your water clear(er)?

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl,
    Barley balls are sold to clarify ponds, and they are absolutely safe for fish, mammals, and children (who are mammals, at least most are).
    The ball itself is plastic and looks like a very large ping-pong ball since it has holes in it. It is in two parts like those plastic easter eggs you can fill with candy. The barley comes in a block, and you tear off some and put it in the ball, then float the thing in the pond. Usually the new ball comes packed with barley, and you can buy refills.
    How do I know? When I volunteered at a college there was a "gift from an important donor" pond which was invariably green and slimy. Since the donor was VIP, the pond was to be cleaned almost daily. I got the job once, went home and looked up other ways to clean their algae-ridden pond, and found barley balls. They worked, and I didn't have to!

Karrma likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Waterbug

Waterbug New Seed

I've used several methods as ponds are always changing. For new bright green algae blooms a UV filter is the only thing that worked for me. I only ever had to run one for a weeks or two and then could shut it off and the water stayed clear for months/years.

After that of course you have bits of dead algae floating around, no so clear. Or, after a year or two there's just a lot of bits of suspended stuff. Stuff in the water that looks like suspended ground pepper. A fabric filter made with drain pipe and drain pipe sleeve (fabric) worked great when conditions were right. Clear in just a day or so.

Adding string algae would sometimes work against green water algae.

Adding a stream and/or long subsurface bog type deal always had a good shot at clearing water.

It really just depends on what's making the water unclear.

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

:D :D :D

8. Waterbug

Waterbug New Seed

Deleted

9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

I've deleted the original wording of this post because someone misinterpreted my intent; probably my fault due to my poor communication skills..
    Hank

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hank, I wasn't trying to promote a scam or rip-off. I just recounted my experience.

11. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

OH, MY, MY; MG, I most humbly apologize for posting something you found offensive; I was really surprised by your post and had to review your previous post to comprehend what had transpired, but, I understand finally..
    An instance of not following my own credo as stated in my signature line..
    Hank

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cherylad==I googled Accu-Clear and what popped up was a pregnancy test! Apparently there are two products that go by that name! I looked up the pond clarifier, and this is what it says: "Accu-Clear causes tiny, suspended cloud-forming particles to clump together into larger clumps called flocs. Once clumped together these flocculated particles are easier to trap in the pond filter than the tiny particles, thereby aiding the filter system in keeping the water clear.

If the pond does not have a filtration system, the flocs will settle to the bottom of the pond or become trapped in the pump prefilter. As the water clears, the particles will accumulate in the filter and it will be necessary to rinse the prefilter and filter pads/foams more often when using Accu-Clear to regain crystal clear water."

I like the sound of MG's barley balls.

& KK Ng== I had missed MG's quip: children (who are mammals, at least most are). Thanks

13. Waterbug

Waterbug New Seed

Yes, that's how flocculants basically work. They have been used in sewage treatment plants for many years.

It sounds exactly what a pond owner would want. However, if you get into a bit more detail the process is a lot less likely to work in a backyard pond.

How flocculation works.

Flocculants are best used against things like suspended clay because clay will sink when clumped and even then only under proper conditions. In most cases things like algae will float when clumped because they're living plants producing gases. In a clump the gases are trapped causing it to float.

And since flocculants work for a very short time you have to have some filter for removing the clumps in the first hour or so. These are really small clumps, a Skippy or virtually all pond type filters won't work. A swimming pool type filter like a sand or DE will remove those small bits.

One other aspect to keep in mind is that flocculants are only used in water treatment and swimming pools to remove a tiny amount of stuff from the water. The water targeted is what most pond owners would call OMG crystal clear water.

In ponds I think sellers are targeting new pond owners. It's the type of thing a person tries once, but the mark up is unbelievably huge so there's money to be made.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. cherylad

Thanks everyone for all the information. This doesn't sound like anything that would work in my small container pond(s). I should have read the label closer before purchasing this product.
    So... anybody want or need this unopened bottle? Hate to see it go to waste!

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,
    you might recall my mentioning i used own a company that sold Aquariums,Fish,Pond Liners,Filters and Pumps,..well Algae always caused a problem,..and every customer wanted an Algae killer that came in a bottle.

I always explained that those products worked,..but you were left with the dead Algae in the bottom of your Aquarium or Pond,..and depending on how big or strong your filters were,..they would either collect the dead Algae,..and keep running,..or just get blocked up with dead Algae and stop working.

I always recommended the age old system of using Barley Straw,..anyone who used it claimed success,..Barley Straw prevents Algae from forming,..but alas people still requested something from a bottle,..yes it works,..but has side effects.

I would hang on to that bottle you have,..if ever you have water gone green from Algae,..use it by all means providing you can siphon the gunge from the bottom of your pond,..or as Marlingardener suggested go for those Barley Balls,..Barley works.

16. Waterbug

Waterbug New Seed

I've used Barkey straw and it didn't work. I also never met in person anyone who said it worked. So, not quite everyone claims success.