Using old style canning jars

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by Netty, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I am going to attempt canning for the first time and have done a lot of research on methods, equiptment etc.
    I have several 'old style' jars with the glass lids and zinc rings that, apparently, are no longer recommended. I have new red seals and was looking forward to using these old jars. Here's 2 of them
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone here use these old jars?
    How do you know when they are sealed properly?
    (The new style containers with the metal lids make a pinging noise when they seal)
    HELP!

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Boy, I don't know :-? I've been spoiled by the new rings and seals. Toni does more canning than I do,
    She or Laura might know ;)

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a couple of the old jars with zink lined lids but don't use them for anything but decoration. Don't know how they would do for food but as old as they are I wouldn't trust them to be safe.

New jars are fairly cheap and come with rings and seals, I'd stick with those.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have used the rubber ring, glass lid jars in the past (and I have an extensive past). The only way to tell if they are sealed is a few weeks later--no mold growing inside, the jar sealed.
    They do make great jars for storing dried herbs and pasta. I also put peeled garlic cloves in the pint ones and put them in the fridge, where they keep for a couple of months.
    Like Toni, I use the "ping" lids and rings for canning now.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those old jars & lids are very cool!
    I did some canning years ago... and have been fortunate enough to be around family & friends who canned alot.
    I think I'd got with new jars/lids/rings.
    I'm sure you can find good uses for those older ones. They have such a charm to them.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The old jars may not hold up to canning. The heat may make them crack. The glass lids may not seal the rings tight to the jars. I would use new jars, too. I have some old jars and I just use them to store things on a shelf. You might get away with it but you might get some sort of food poisoning.
    dooley

8. Netty

Thanks for all your help everyone. I do have a case of new jars, but I really wanted to use the dozen or so old jars.
    I guess I'd better stick to the new ones, especially since I am just learning.

9. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

I have another way to use canning jars since I don't can food. I store leftovers in them. I've gotten very wary of plastics, especially when I put hot food into them, the glass is safer, and it's easy to see what I have when I open the fridge door. You could use your old jars for this, and use the newer, safer seals for the actual canning.

marlingardener and Karrma like this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KathyD,
    Brilliant idea! The jars won't discolor with tomato based foods like the plastic, and you can tell what you have without opening a lot of lids.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, Good idea to not reuse really old jars. I tried a few, although they were old 5# honey jars with the bail handles, and when i water bathed them, they broke, the bottom completely fell right off as I lifted it out of the canner. The only good thing I can say about this is that they aren't taking up space in my cabinet now. I value the functionality over the sentimentality any day of something taking up space in my cabinets or cupboards.

12. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

The zinc caps or any with loose rubbers are not recommended for canning anymore. I have about 1000 quarts and don't use them. I once used them for jelly and jams. Mainly the problem is that you can't tell if they are sealed. I would never take that chance. Hope you found that the dollar stores have quarts and pints really cheep.

They don't even recommend you to use 1/2 gallons with the new seals and rings. I think it's a good thing that they watch out for us. It has become safer and safer these last few decades. Just follow the rules.

Search through this site. I use it for final rules.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Barb in Pa

13. Netty

One more question about canning jars ... I was wondering if these jars from store bought sauce are OK to use? The new lids fit on them so I think they would seal OK.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Netty's Garden )

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They are Mason jars so they should do fine but you could test it out by filling the jar with hot water, put the seal and ring on and see if it seals as the water cools.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

A friend uses glass mayonnaise jars for dill pickles since the wide-mouth lids and rings fit them. I still stick with my Ball or Mason jars with new lids and rings. I even discard rings that are rusted, thinking they won't tighten sufficiently.
    Since your sauce jars say Atlas Mason, I'd feel confident using them. Unlike the maonnaise jars, your sauce jars are heavier glass, and will withstand the heat of canning.

stratsmom likes this.
  16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

The Atlas jars, depending on the age, may or may not be able it use the screw bands. Try it and see. If they work then you can use them for both water bath and pressure canning. I do....

BTW, I just counted all the full jars in my pantry and there are over 1400 full of great, natural, wonderful food. Most of them Ball or Mason with screw bands processed in water bath and pressure canned and Mayonaise jars that I only water bath.

I am a canninghaulic. LOL