Verbascum, are they easy to grow?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by malamik, May 22, 2007.

1. malamik

malamik New Seed

Today is my second wedding anniversary and my husband came home from work with a rose bush, a peonie bush and a verbascum called "jennie"! Never heard of a verbascum anyone know how well they grow and are they easy?

I'm so happy!

Just thought I'd brag a bit...

HUGS!
    malamik

2. Loading...

3. malamik

malamik New Seed

maintenance

I think I'm actually more curious as to what it takes to maintain them, mines already 12" tall with pretty pale peach flowers. I suppose they are just as easy as any other flowering perennial...?

I have them in full sun with soil that is not as lovely as what was in the pot, but I'm sure they'll survive as I water that spot often.

Any comments welcome :)

Have a sunny evening!

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I grow Verbascum in my garden and they come back year after year. My are a washed out apricot colour, very delicate. I have some in dappled shade which they seem to thrive in, and some in full sun which do okay, but do go floppy if they go dry. I did have some in full shade, but they never flowered. I cut the flowering stem back once all the blooms have faded, and I usually leave one on so the seeds scatter to thicken up the clump.

CONGRATULATIONS on your second wedding anniversary!

5. malamik

malamik New Seed

Ej you are so kind to reply. I suppose these flowers aren't so very popular but I'm glad to have the chance to meet and care for my own verbascum. :)

Thanks for the congrats! We ordered out for chinese as our toddler isn't well and a babysitter was out of the equation. No matter, it's all in what you make of your time.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Happy Anniversary malamik!
    I've had Verbascum on my wish list for a few years now...I've never seen it at any of our local greenhouses. I once saw a pink one and it was gorgeous!

7. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Happy Anniversary malamik. I used to have verbascum where we previously lived - thought I brought some with me but guess not. It was fairly easy to grown. I just let it be and cut it back every fall.

8. daff

daff New Seed

Happy Anniversary xxx
    Verbascum seed themselvs. I have a lot in my garden som about 2 to 3 feet and a couple that are well over 6 foot. I find myself pulling them out because i have too many and have given lots away.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Belated Happy Anniversary Malamik, ours is May 22nd also...27 years for us.

I have never had Verbascum, but I think I should they are pretty.
    Remember to take some pictures when you have them all planted.

Hope your little one is feeling better now.

10. malamik

malamik New Seed

Thanks for the comments! My little boy is on the mend, he's climbing on furniture again and curious as ever. :) I hope this verbascum isn't like the phlox that I had to pull up when we moved in, that flower took over like crazy, that and the tiger lilies... I found all sorts of crazy things in 5 years of over growth, verigated bamboo grass, broccoli, and other things that I can't put a stamp on, some I don't want to pull up yet just in case they aren't weeds, but alas, most probably are. I just cedar mulched, it took 4 (2 cubic ft) bags to go around the house and I still need 2 more bags... But I love the work bacause there are so many benefits. Be well!

11. acresgm

acresgm New Seed

Hi All,
    Verbascum are a delightful flower that will come back year after year in the right conditions. I generally grow mine some seeds. Seeds grown this year and planted in the autumn will flower next year. Hopefully, your verbascum will be around for many anniversaries to come.

12. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

Mine seem to be biennial. :(

13. malamik

malamik New Seed

Thank you for that information acresgm, I have a broken bit from the plant and put it into water, but it's wilting, oh well... the seeds, do they take a while to form?
    Thanks