Waffle

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, May 9, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Outside it’s 13,8 degs with rain…inside it’s Sjoerd on a break from housecleaning. It is almost 15:00 hours and that means teatime innit. I am using this opportunity to drop a line about this, that and the other.

A couple of weeks ago, we planted some seeds and parked them on the bedroom windowsill.
    184DE277-85EC-46C1-B129-D49E83BB8A6A.jpeg

Today the windowsill looks like this:
    9DE19E29-67C1-4623-95A0-29DD32333827.jpeg

…and out on the adjacent balcony are the candidates hardening-off:
    F616C8EE-DC6E-4A06-9BFB-D8D2ECD46E26.jpeg

A few days ago we were driven home by persistent rain showers. Directly across from the entrance gate to our complex, were the new lambs. These ones were hiding out from the rain.
    3ADA789B-8033-4B2A-A798-0BF28680BFD3.jpeg

Once home, we vased-up some a few bluebells picked from the garden.
    1F56781B-1E8A-45B1-856D-FEA1E82F0E10.jpeg

A while ago, I wrote about one of our early mornings and the blue heron. It may sound odd to you that blue herons would be hanging about at the MacDonalds. This is the parking lot with the typical Dutch canal.
    7F15FC19-5C9F-4EE1-B557-74E611621020.jpeg

You could know that it was brekkie because I am holding a milk carton. You can see the Golden Arches in the background.

Yesterday whilst on a break, I was paying attention to the birds in the garden. There were blue tits, great tits, dunnocks, black birds, a crow, two long-tailed tits. Oh yes, and a putter. I can’t think of the english word for this. Eileen’s avatar shows one though.
    I also heard a groenling, a green woodpecker, gulls, coots and a wren.

Time to go back to work now.

2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What a perfect place to harden your veggies. Love the flowers. You’ve reminded me of one more thing I need to transplant. Hillside to naturalize maybe.

Amazing how wildlife ignores us and lives as our neighbors. Great blue herons have definitely adapted in my region. Easy pickings like fish ponds are fair game and they like so many critters and birds find living in close proximity to humans is just something they do. On a recent tour of the Seattle locks there was a rookery of heron in the trees in the city along the water.

Cayuga Morning, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Speaking of herons— we live right at the edge of a park and 200metres from our place there is a heron nesting place. We counted eight pair this spring nesting in the trees in february. They have young now, so walking under the tall trees is a no-no at the minute.

That balcony is of a good size but those plantings take up almost half of it. It is protected on the sides and above as there is a balcony above us from the folks across the hall. Actually they have left and are selling their apartment. They were getting up in age and had some health problems.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd your Putter is a Goldfinch - we have them visiting our garden every day. :)

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahh. Merci Eileen. Now you say it, I remember. BTW— do you know when Springwatch will be on again?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Enjoyed the trip thru your daily garden pics and lovely home.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers Pac. You always say the nicest things.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd the BBC haven't announced a date for Springwatch yet. It's usually around the end of May though so, hopefully, not too far away now.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers Eileen. Too bad they will not be sending personal e-mails to viewers. Ha ha.

Pacnorwest likes this.