Walking the Line: Boundary Trees, Fence Posts

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Cayuga Morning, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We are up at our "farm" again in Western NY State, walking the boundary line between our property and our neighbors. Or trying to! A bit like unearthing ancient signs.

IMG_20200917_181148_compress62.jpg
    This is a boundary tree. I just love them for their size and majesty. Can you see the bit of barbed wire sticking out? it used to be...uou guessed it, a property line barbed wire fence to keep the cows in. IMG_20200917_181137_compress63.jpg
    This one's a cherry. The surveyor put a tag of plastic ribbon on the barbed wire.
    IMG_20200917_181130_compress75.jpg IMG_20200917_181152_compress71.jpg
    Aren't these trees gorgeous? It is (relatively) easy to spot the boundary trees in the forest. They are the majestic ones, sometimes in a decernible line. Sometimes not! IMG_20200917_174016.jpg

Ditto IMG_20200917_183340_compress43.jpg

Can you spy the pink tag in the distance?
    Me neither. Our sharp eyed daughter did though. IMG_20200917_175045_compress69.jpg

Sometimes the walking was easy. IMG_20200916_155542_compress29.jpg
    And sometimes not. Those are my brother's shoes that he is carrying. IMG_20200916_155614_compress37.jpg
    Our boundary walk had to pause for a bit while he got himself together again.
    IMG_20200917_164220_compress71.jpg

Wildflowers are gorgeous this time of year.
    IMG_20200917_164305_compress56.jpg

Good old goldenrod.

Finally, back home! I'd show you a photo but I am suddenly having trouble with that photo shrinking app. Some game has shown up, wanting me to buy it & I can't seem to get rid of it!

Maybe tomorrow.

It was a great walk. We hope to do another section of it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Frank, Sjoerd and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, thanks for taking us along on your boundary walk (and for reminding me of what mud looks like!). Lovely woods, beautiful flowers, and a sharp-eyed daughter--you have it all!
    We have boundary trees also. I had to cut a strand of barbed wire out of one because each time I mowed, it caught me.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

I am glad to hear you have boundary trees also. I wonder if they are only in the US. Probably not. Probably a universal phenomenon? Or maybe not. Maybe others will weigh in and tell us from other parts of the world. Maybe in the Netherlands they have boundary canals? Maybe @Odif will tell us what they have.
    Maybe in Ireland they have boundary hedgerows, huh @Frank?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Sjoerd likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

We have them here too !

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

nice area CM. what a beautiful day.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Giving a clear answer isn't easy. There are largish canals around some properties and inside the large canals are smaller ones dividing up the parcels (paddocks).
    [​IMG]

There is a small area here that has been preserved and declared a World Heritage Site of how it was earlier. As history progressed, these water little island-like parcels were combined and made into more accessible farming plots for the farmers.
    The canals are not just for boundaries but they are a part of an intricate network that moves water from lower land eventually out into the sea.

Stunning pics, Cayu. Really stunning. and interesting. The foto of the goldenrod and fall asters deserve a place on the picture of the month vote.
    Well done and thanks so much for posting piccies.

8. Cayuga Morning

Talk about stunning photos Sjoerd! I love that one of the canals. So is this a World Heritage Site?
    Beautiful.
    I can see why you all combined the parcels of land to make it easier to farm etc.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, it is world heritage site because it preserves how things here once were.
    Really glad you liked the posting. I thought that person's foto showed the idea of how they farmed way back when. If I had a drone, I might do some of this type of photography. Anyway, chapeau to the photographer.
    You can see bits of this special, preserved landscape when you take the train to or from Amsterdam and where I live.