Wall Canning Green, Wax and Beans

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by waretrop, Sep 15, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Just canned 19 green beans and 10 wax beans and 3 :'( lima beans.

I got behind because I had a horrible cold these last 2 weeks. Tomato sauce finally got done and have 2 bushels to do again.

I waited to pick the beans a little too long. You don't see it in the green beans but the water in the yellow ones is a bit red. I think that's from the bean inside. It will be OK to eat but not for company.

[​IMG]

Next year I am going to do lots of lima beans in the garden. I won't need the others nor many tomatoes but I only have 5 pints of limas so far on my pantry shelf. 2 from last year and 3 from this year. I will get more out of the garden this year still but it won't amount to allot.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh Barb, I hope you are feeling better. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well already. That makes it so hard to get anything done. If you had the same thing my son just got over...ugh! you poor thing.

Your beans look fine and when you pour off the water they wont look as if they had the red cast to them. Add a little bacon, umm!

How do you grow limas? I haven't done them yet, but people keep asking for them. I am nor sure if I want to mess with them for other people. I am not shelling them and they take up a lot of space to pick a bushel and once they are shelled? what is the quantity you get? a few pounds?

4. waretrop

I have bought them for 8 dollars s half bushel in shell. That`s the only way I have seen them and that price was probably cheap. Haven`t sern a one this year but mine in my garden are just now getting ready.

This year we put in about 12 feet of limas. They are a bush and are doing well.

We are out driving today so we will be on the lookout for them.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Barb, are beans something that can be done in a water bath?

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I pressure can everything that doesn't have much acid or sugar.
    All my canning is done now. We have a few tomatoes that are trickling in but we either eat them fresh or I will take the peel off them slice and freeze for stews.

7. waretrop

Netty, 2ofus is right. You have to learn what is "low acid" foods. They have to be pressure canned.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sorry to hear that you have been ill. Phooey! What are colds good for?! :-?

At any rate-- those canned veggies look great. I get what you say about those wioth red water, but after all...it's all about the flavour.

Well done you.