Waretrop's Summer Accident

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by waretrop, Jul 12, 2016.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi everyone. So with a great number of garden tours under our belt, we started in Feb this year mulching and adding new gardens. Thongs are really looking nice along the hillside gardens.

Three weeks ago I had a fight with a trailer hitch and truly it won. I was stepping over the hitched up trailer to level out the stuff that was in it. It was 5 days before the first tour this summer.

I stepped on a swirly twig which, when I did that, the loop went around my seeping over foot. As my body shifted over the hitch, the rope pulled my foot onto the hitch and them my body sat on my foot. Then I flew to the road on my elbow. On my way down I could see that twig and my leg bone stretching out my skin about 6 inches. After landing, I held up my leg and saw my foot sitting at the end but along side, of my leg bone. It was really disgusting especially being a part of my body.

Next ambulance, hospital, then laying for 24 hours till they could get me into the operating room. Two days later I was released with cast on my arm and leg and a plate with about 7 pins and a screw in my foot.

The garden tour was wonderful all due to my hubby. He worked all week doing has list and my list of things to ready for the big day.

After 2 weeks they took both casts off, exray them, left my arm alone and gave me a boot for my foot. All with a promise I would put NO weight on either part. I agreed.

I am just finishing with my 3rd week of sitting. That is very hard for me. The dr says I will be released at the end of Sept. The large bolt thst is holding the 2 lower leg bones together must come out sometime in this timespan.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Mego
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OMG Barb, why did you do that? :eek: And please do not do that again!!! Glad the healing is coming along nicely.

waretrop likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh Barb, you are one strong woman to suffer through all that and survive! I'm so sorry you had such a nasty accident, but am so glad you are still with us (although sitting!). Please take it easy and don't try to do more than permitted by the doctors. And give your husband a pat on the back for stepping up and doing what is necessary.
    Please keep us updated on your progress.

waretrop likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a horrible accident! Please follow Doctors orders and I hope the healing goes fast. Kudo's to your Hubby for all he has done.

d

waretrop likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I don't think I want to even visualize something like that happening. Here is hoping that you are all better in September. Good progress reports, we want to hear that you will be 100% come the fall.
    Praying for a good recovery.

Jerry

stratsmom and waretrop like this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good Night, Barb!... that is not the way to do things... but you sure did overdo that experience! I really hope you are feeling better soon, too. that is just awful! many hugs and get well wishes going your way.

waretrop likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Oh Barb that was a terrible accident,..so sorry you went through such a bad experience,..there is a card below for you.
    You can view your card here

waretrop likes this.
  9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well if your going to have an accident you may as well do it right - yes? Seriously though it's amazing how quickly injuries like your can occur. One minute you're fine and the next you find yourself in hospital. I hope both your elbow and your foot knit well and, come September, you'll be fighting fit again.

waretrop and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Holey Moley!!!o_O Man that sounds horrible. I've see pictures of your foot on facebook and wondered if you're staying off of it! Please don't try to do too much too soon! You don't want that to heal improperly. Tell your hubby I'm sending cyber hugs, what a sweetie!!:flower:

11. waretrop

Oh my hubby is doing his jobs and my jobs after work everyday. He had outdone himself. I couldn't do what he is doing. He will deserve a good rest when I am well..I ran to dr. to make sure I didn't have an infection and he said none. I checked and I am healing extremely well. They are all amazed...I like what I hear from them. I use no weight on my arm or leg....Living with my disabled daughter taught me sooo much that I can apply to my life now...She is with me...for sure..

marlingardener and Philip Nulty like this.
  12. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Barb, I've been noticing your absence from the Stew and wondered why... So sorry to hear about your accident but encouraged to hear that you seem to be recovering rapidly..
    Hank

waretrop and Philip Nulty like this.
  13. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Go Big or Go Home! No half measures for you. In all seriousness, do as your physicians and therapists tell you. It makes a tremendous difference. This from one who still has plates and screws in his body. A few therapeutic massages on the affected limbs and surrounding tissues not only feel good, but help in healing. Well wishes and good thoughts sent your way my dear.

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Hope you are soon well again. Best wishes. Syd.

waretrop likes this.
  15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I've been following your progress on Facebook too Barb. So sorry this happened to you, but so glad you're healing well. <3

waretrop likes this.
  16. waretrop

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. I didn't realize that during the healing process that there was so much pain. I have taken 2 bottle of tylenol since the accident. It's been 3 weeks now. I will survive this.