Warning..trojan virus..

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by SusieQ07, Mar 17, 2011.

1. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

The UPS/FEDEX virus is circulating again in e-mails..do not open attachment, even if you are expecting a pkg. this one is bad, will shut your PC down, will not even boot in safe mode, no restore will help, you have to do a complete recovery... the real UPS will contact you via snail mail, if your pkg. is delayed..[/b]

2. Loading...

3. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I hope everyone is reading this new post?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've just noticed your post Susie. Many thanks for posting this warning for us. I never open attachments but it's good to know about this trojan anyway so I'll be extra vigilant.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    This one has affected both my work and my husband's. It is really keeping the tech guys busy. Very nasty.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love Linux. It is impervious to those viruses so I don't have to worry about them.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

What is Linux, Toni?

8. toni

It's an operating system, like Windows only better. Very easy to learn and downloaded online free.

9. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

I realize this thread is quite old but I just wanted to comfort those who have been affected or think they were infected by clicking on an attachment included a FedEx/UPS spam email.

Even though the emails are bad emails and you should not click on the attachments, if you do happen to your computer will not be trashed and can be cleansed of the malware that could be installed by the trojans. I have about 30 of the infected emails stored in a folder in my Yahoo that I plan on using to infect my test computer with the little boogers to learn just what infections are installed and what will remove the infections. One I found so far was to be a backdoor trojan which is an information stealer, meaning that if you perform any online banking you should immediately get to a know "clean" computer to change your passwords then contact your financial institution. Once a backdoor trojan has been found on your computer, though, it is advised to never trust that computer again for such transactions and a reformat/reinstall may be necessary as pointed out by quietman7.

Um....toni!?! You should worry as well. Many people believe this and it's not true. They are just as susceptible as a Windows OS though they are not targeted by the creators of malware because there is no money to be made.

See here--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

SusieQ07: Keep up the good work at letting the unsuspecting victims know about these dangers.

EDIT: Also wanted to point out that other infected emails are circulating as follows:

IRS Notification
    DHL Express Delivery u
    DHL Express Delivery heu
    McDonalds Restaurant - free meals
    Police Agency-- I had to laugh at this one! Said I had received a speeding ticket in New York! HA! I've never even been to N.Y.! The jokes on them! LOL!

HP

10. toni

HP, by impervious to those viruses I was referring to the ones aimed at Windows.

Like you said there is no money in attacking Linux, someday the tide may turn but for now all the virus warnings that come out are for Windows and those don't affect Linux.

I don't even have Windows on my machine, we removed it after a friend of my daughters used my machine, used IE to go someplace she shouldn't have and took a few hours for my hubby to clean up the mess, then he uninstalled Windows.

11. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

Hi toni,

You are correct that the viruses that target Windows does not target the Linux OS.

Following is a link that discusses just a few of the many viruses that were created to target Linux.

A history of viruses on Linux

Here's another interesting topic:

Viruses should be a concern for Mac users

If I were to by my child a computer, I'd get her a Mac! She is reckless and doesn't know what safe surfing is. But she's learning.

12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

SusieQ07 and all the rest thanks for the heads up concerning viruses and such. I have gotten emails saying you have money awaiting you or your FedEx shipment has been delayed. I always mark them as Phishing scams. :stew1:

13. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Well I have 4 PC's in my home all run Windows, and all run tip-top...no viruses here! I fix PC's and work on many for fellow seniors, for free of course,(by remote mostly) and simply pass along good info. I am known in senior chat rooms as "puternut" and I for one will stick with Windows..as long as you have the proper software all mine are Free, and learn to run them, and have all incoming e-mail checked, then you will also have healthy PC's..just because the software is installed, does not mean you are uninvolved in the maintinence, oh no! you actually need to run the scans, often.. and keep your PC's updated in all you have downloaded..P.S. I also stick with the browsers etc. that came in my OS=operating system, and do not go off on these oddball browsers,(FF,Chrome)or e-mails such as yahoo, and hotmail, I only have them because I do use the instant messengers with family etc.

14. Humble Pie

Humble Pie New Seed

That is not a good practice to follow. If you encounter a computer that is heavily infected it CAN cross over to your computer and infect you as well.

Not many know this can happen.Just thought I'd point it out to protect you in the future.

HP :stew1:

15. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

No this will not happen...my computers are well protected and I use teamviewer, not the onboard remote, like in windows esentials..

16. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

Constant vigilance and lots of scanning and cleaning products will keep most of the malware off of a Windows based system, but the best defense is a system that doesn't allow intrusions to start with. Somewhere in the early days of Windows development, the decision was made to use Dynamic Library Links (DLL's) and a Systems Registry to manage the DLL's. This was a decision made by lazy (and pressured) programmers looking to find a quick and easy answer to a difficult programming problem. This led to a security nightmare since these DLL's and Registry must be available to, and modifiable by, all programs. When the term "DLL Hell" first started to be used in the industry journals, it was reported that an angry memo went from Bill Gates (a programmer of some note) to the Windows developer quoting one article and started with "What the hell is this s***...". If Windows is a must, it's best to limit access by using a more secure browser and email client. Firefox, Opera, and a few others don't have the security problems that come with Internet Explorer. IE is an integral part of Windows (file browsing is done with the same basic code that IE uses to browse the internet) and those ties allow outside interests to exploit far too many of its weaknesses. Firefox and Opera simply don't have these security holes. Outlook (full version and Express) also have a large number of security leaks. Email clients such as Thunderbird and the Opera Mail client also slam the door on the majority of malware that arrives in mail attachments. I've converted most of my friends (those that don't use Mac based systems) to Firefox and Thunderbird. The incidence of problems on their systems have dropped to almost none. Avast (a free virus package), Adaware, and Spybot catch the rest. The last time I had to do any real work on a friend's system was when it was hit by lightning and all the smoke leaked out.

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.