Wasp, Termite or What Now?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by SeanLI, Apr 11, 2023.

1. SeanLI

SeanLI Seedling

Hi, Stewers. Can anyone help me identify the midge-sized flying insect in the attached pic?

I found a mini swarm of these flying around and crawling on an old oak tree in our yard. They are itsy bitsy wee things, smaller than a grain of rice.

The container lip it is on in attached pic is 1.5"/ 3.8cm. The edge to the 1/2 way line is 0.75" /1.9cm. So this insect is ~0.15"/ 0.4cm long.

Are these parasitoids or pest predators, interested in our oak because there are insect eggs and/or larvae hidden in the craggly oak bark?

Or is the inside of this oak being devoured by some flying, wood eating beastie?

Thanks in advance for any help.

20230411_142720.jpg

Pacnorwest likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. SeanLI

SeanLI Seedling

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks like a flying ant to me but I could be wrong.

SeanLI, Odif and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

eileen and SeanLI like this.

Advertisement
  6. SeanLI

SeanLI Seedling

It does look more antish than waspish, I will admit. But ⅛" is very small for ants.

I will try to do a better job getting another pic soon

Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Flying ants?

8. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Aw, Sean, just let him be... he is all ready to go courting, and once he has achieved that, the poor little chap will die - at least let him die happy :rolleyes:

SeanLI, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

SeanLl …
    If your oak is attacked by the beetles you describe…The European oak bark beetle is a small wood boring pest of oak trees. It is native to Europe. Some international common names include the bark beetles and the oak bark beetle.
    We have the US version. I put down a granular systemic in fall. Please treat tree with a systemic designed to kill the larvae and adult beetles. If there are any signs of dead branches or decaying branches that also attracts carpenter ants that eat wood of decaying trees.. also homes… etc.

SeanLI and eileen like this.
  10. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Yes, to stylishly start new colonies elsewhere, then the wings come off, then she gets permanently pregnant and bosses everybody around and it's work, work, work.

SeanLI, eileen and Odif like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I believe that it is a wasp- like insect, rather than some sort of flying ant.
    First of all, in NY it is not the time of year for the new queen ants to be swarming, that happens in july or august usually. Further, I do not believe that this specimen is the same as what you showed last year for three reasons: there are no black spots on the wings of this year’s insect like on the one last year, the wing shape and length are different and the connection point of the abdomen and thorax on this year’s wasp is less hourglass-like than the former.
    These opinions are not really very helpful to you as it doesn’t give an answer to your question. Having said that, it could be helpful not to continue down the wrong path to correct identification. At any rate, my feeling is that it is not a harmful pest.
    Good luck identifying this interesting creature.

SeanLI, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  12. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I found this article which relates to the right time of year in your neck of the woods, and is connected to oak trees https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/callirhytis-gall-wasps
    Hopefully it will prove helpful to you Sean.
    [​IMG] A picture of a callirhytis gall on white oak leaf.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

19CB711E-06BA-4D83-8E4F-AF35E490EE1A.jpeg

816BDCEE-55DA-4007-B039-7AF1187787C1.jpeg

Teeters the leaf gall site is creepy… the things we gardeners have to see and cope with ….’the good, the bad and the ugly’.
    In the pic is of tent catipillers that are really a huge pest in the PNW. The larvae over winters in the soil. In spring crawls up the tree trunk and munches the daylights out of all the leaves. They have defoliated leaves in forests killed all the trees. I put down a systemic every fall to keep them off several trees .
    Also have the European flea weevil also chews buck shot holes in elm leaves and causes elms to defoliate . This introduced beetle has become a serious elm pest and a real awakening how destructive many insects have become in our trees and garden plants.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    Tetters, Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

SeanLI and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Pacnorwest likes this.
  16. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

The flea beetles are right next to the patio where we have summer meals and these flea beetles bite cause a rash that seems to last forever.

I should have added the other insect is a major pest …the elm leaf beetle is a huge pest here . Leaves holes in all the leaves.

A few insecticides are systemic in plants, capable of moving through the plant providing so that they may control insects some distance from where the insecticide is applied. Most useful for control of elm leaf beetle are insecticides that can be applied to the soil and that then can move to the leaves where elm leaf beetles feed.
    https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/insects/elm-leaf-beetles-5-521-2/

Sjoerd and SeanLI like this.