Water Gardening - Don't be afraid of starting small

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Jewell, May 27, 2009.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have several "watering holes" scattered around my yard. Pictured here are two of the three that are too small for gold fish, but are still lovely to have. The sunken plastic planter in the front yard houses some sedges and a miniature cattail. It doesn't provide enough room to support goldfish. At first I had to use dunks, a bacteria that keeps mosquito larvae from developing, but dragon fly larvae have found a home here and they now keep it mosquito free. I often see birds and squirrels drinking from the pot that is sunk so that the lip is at surface level. I have a family of squirrels that visit daily. Water is often hard to find for wildlife during the drier parts of the year so any water feature is welcome.

[​IMG]
    South Side of the Moss Garden (Front Yard) ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

My favorite little pond is in a small area between the house and the garage. With the sidewalk it is less than seven feet across from wall to wall. It is shaded most of the day, with pretty intense sun bouncing off the garage and house during the summer. This pond houses my hardy pink water lilies that are not hassled by the raccoons. (But yes that is wire to keep raccoons from bathing) Water lilies that I give to friends and replace plants destroyed in other ponds come from this pond. Dragon fly larvae keep the mosquitos in check. Since the dragon fly babies have moved in no goldfish has been able to survive.
    This last winter the baby's tears were really frozen, but is quickly making a come back. I have had to pull a sword fern, and five-finger ferns from this area as they have gotten too large. I am now trying a few painted ferns. It has been trial and error to find what works long term for this mini-garden area.

This small area still has a number of plants with a purple cyclamen, primroses, a miniature rose, Pieris japonica, sword fern-hidden behind the Pieris, lamb's ears, ajuga, baby's tears, and Chinese ground orchids.
    [​IMG]
    Small Pond Between house and garage ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Small Pond Between house and garage from opposite point of view ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

2ofus and hummerbum like this.
  2. Loading...

3. egoreise

egoreise Seedling

These are gorgeous! I want a water feature in my backyard, but I don't have any idea where to start...

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely water holes. :D Good luck with finding ferns for your space. I've got a couple of miniature ferns outside. Maybe you could look for some over there?

2ofus likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think any garden is complete without at least one water feature. Yours are obviously ideal for wildlife as well as for giving you pleasure whilst out in th4e garden. I think my favourite is the one between the house and garage too. :-D

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

They are nice little surprises in the garden. Your moss garden sure is pretty... and the baby tears on the lilly watering hole are sweet too... like the look of the still water and floating lillies.

I'd love a water feature but my area is very very prone to mosquitos already because of all the wetlands around... If I were to use dunks in a watering hole, can birds and animals still drink the water?

7. ACMPhoto

ACMPhoto Seedling

Those are beautiful! I just love the ferns and mosses... such great textures!

2ofus likes this.
  8. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Lovely - I really like the small pond. It is so petite.
    Ferns and mosses always make me think Japanese garden. SO calm and tranquil.

Unfortunately, here by us, the Nephrolepis fern is categorized as an alien. The only fern that I do have growing here (on the one side of my water feature [pool]) is a Rumohra fern. ;)

9. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Your gardens are lush and beautiful. I love your rustic water features.

10. Jewell

Daisybeans, yes the dunks are ok for birds and wildlife, according to the packaging and all that I have read and watched for in the yard.

(Mosquito Dunks-a product that floats on top of the water surface, and releases a bacteria, Bacillus thuringiensis israeliensis. Bacillus thuringiensis israeliensis, is a bacteria that is harmless to humans, mammals and fish, but interfere with how mosquito larvas absorb nutrients. So no mosquito larvae reach adulthood due to malnutrition and starvation.)

Water spots are fun...and what a lot of wildlife in town needs them. Thanks for sharing with me :stew1:

11. egoreise

egoreise Seedling

I keep coming back to look at these pictures! As you know, I'm just starting out. It really is inspiring. Your garden looks so beautiful and peaceful.

12. Jewell

That is very kind of all of you to say. I am definitely an impulse gardener that digs a lot.

For just starting out egoreise your garden has wonderful features. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I know I am always impatient with my own garden and am always surprise with what grows or doesn't. But I love the little surprises it provides.

13. sonny

sonny New Seed

Hi have just joined garden stew. I love your ponds especially the one between the garage and house. They look so natural.

14. Jewell

Thanks Sonny, I hope you try some of your own if you don't already have one, or two. Happy gardening

15. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I'm so glad you posted photos of your pretty ponds. I've just put a tiny above ground one in my yard and am slowly gathering water plants for it and around it. Mine is in full sun and am trying to get some plants around it to provide some shade so the shade-loving water plants don't burn. Your choices are good and I wish you luck with your painted ferns. They are a pretty addition.

16. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

This is very nice and relaxing!! So simple with much impact!!!