Water harvesting

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by marlingardener, Oct 27, 2010.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Water harvesting is just a fancy name for having a container that catches the water from a roof. We have three 55 gal. barrels placed strategically around the house, and two 250 gal. large containers that collect water from the barn roof.
    Downspouts go to the barrels (we learned not to let the downspout go into the barrel because when full to overflowing, the water backs up the downspout and overflows the guttering). The top of the barrel is open, we put in bacillus thurengensis (and if you think that spelling is correct, think again!) pellets to kill mosquito larvae, and I dip and carry to plants that need watering (great biceps). The big containers off the barn have a spigot at the bottom, and I fill buckets from there.
    Who else harvests rainwater?

Frank and cherylad like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I do. I only have two so far but have hopes of getting one of the big ones next spring....maybe for my birthday if I can remind a certain hubby often enough ;)

The one out back http://www.gardenstew.com/about16103.htm Randy put together for me from a 55 gallon vinegar barrel we got from a garden center. The one out front, which I just realized I have not taken a photo of, is a store bought 55 gal one from HD. It has a spigot too.

I have buckets next to each one so I can water potted plants and others that the sprinkler doesn't reach. And an old pitcher that I use as a watering can out front for the plants on the porch.

I keep Mosquito Bits in them to keep take care of the bug problem.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We don't. We can leave our garden for three weeks in summer and not worry about watering. I find water harvesting very interesting, from a spectator's point of view. I'll never know when I might use the knowledge I gather.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We've never felt the need to harvest rain water. It rains so much here in Scotland that the garden never really needs watering. :(

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I harvest rain water from the roof of the greenhouse. There are two great barrels for either side.
    Althouigh Holland is a moist country...I always come short at a bad time--when the strawberry fruits are forming, and even with rainwater harvesting, I still do not have enough at that critical time.

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't... yet! But have been looking at ways to collect the rain water off the roof. There's a section over the back door where it really runs off. We're thinking of putting some gutters there to drain into a barrel. However... the location is exactly where one of my brothers is planning on putting a deck. So we'll have to coordinate our plans as far as where to put the barrel.
    I do have another spot picked out, too, in case that just won't work. But we're definitely looking for the best way to conserve/use water.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

With the long time periods between rain fall here I really need more rainwater collection barrels.

By the way, to Texans on the forum interested in buying rain water collection systems. including any supplies needed for them.....you do not have to pay state sales tax on them. Check out #8
    http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/iwt/rainwat ... p#title-08

cherylad likes this.
  9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks Toni... I'll definitely look that site over!

10. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I should definitely be looking into harvesting water.
    We have a sry, thirsty climate here and summers are particularly harsh.
    I will have to get some tanks as soon as the buildign renovations are done on the house that we are currently living in.