Water softening systems

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by dezzie, Feb 2, 2005.

1. dezzie

dezzie New Seed

Does anyone know about water softening systems/kits? How do they work and are they expensive?

Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I assume you have problems with this as well dezzie then as I had similar problems in the past.

Well basically a water softening kit removes calcium and magnesium ions from the water to change it from 'hard water' to 'soft water'. 'Hard water' as you know causes all those nasty problems like scale build up which affects the performance of household appliances as well as plumbing.

A water softening kit exchanges the calcium and magnesium ions in the water with sodium ions. This exchange occurs when water is passed through the water softener system.

There is a good article on water softeners at this location that should help you http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/h2oqua ... e1031w.htm

:D

4. dezzie

dezzie New Seed

Wow thanks Gardenstew, that was quick :)

I have also heard of water softening systems that involve wrapping a metal coil of wire around your water pipe and passing electricity through the wire.
    does anyone know of these?