watercress

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by deadlyart, Oct 14, 2006.

1. deadlyart

deadlyart New Seed

does anyone know how to grow water cress in the uk. I really would like to know a bit about it if anyone can help.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Mafic
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Easy as pie!!

Sprinkle the seeds on to a piece of wet blotting paper or doubled over paper kitchen towel and hey presto before you know it they'll all have roots. Keep them well watered and soon you'll be picking the cress!! There.........I told you it was easy didn''t I? :D

4. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

You can grow watercress bare root (unpotted) in any pond. Better like it tho. You will have barrels of it very soon.

5. deadlyart

deadlyart New Seed

Eileen you are a fountain of knowledge, I have never come across seeds for water cress but then maybe I haven't looked hard enough i will search at the garden centre.

The idea of having loads of it sounds good Pondlady I was thinking of growing it to sell.

Advertisement
  6. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I'm not sure how much it likes freezes. But you can have as much as you can carry in the summer. And them more next week.

7. OutdoorDecor

OutdoorDecor New Seed

Water Cress

I would like to add that in most of the world due to bacteria and other things in ponds and lakes you may not want to grow in in a natural setting unless you plan to fully cook it.

8. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

How could you grow it? Other veggies and herbs are grown in the ground and sprayed by poisons. Rice is grown in paddies fertilized by human wastes, but I don't think it is eaten raw. So how to grow watercress?

9. OutdoorDecor

OutdoorDecor New Seed

How to grow

I would use some kind of sterile fertilizer and grow in in a hydroponic way in a clean container if you are planning on using it in salad (raw). This should minimize the ecoli and other possible contaminants. If you only eat it cooked then I would think growing it in a wild setting would be fine.
    (I have read all about things you grow in the water in many different books and on this issue they just all seem to agree)

10. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Hydroponics! What a good idea!

11. deadlyart

deadlyart New Seed

I hadn't considered the contamination aspect of it at all, so thanks for mentioning it. As far as cooking is concerned do people actually eat it cooked then? As you have probably guessed I don't know a great deal about water cress. Hydroponics is so expensive to set up I don't think I could do it that way.

12. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

Re: How to grow

:!: great idea! safety and all.i'm sure i've learned much too since i am a watercress fan too! :D