Watering New Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by gus_mp, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gus_mp

gus_mp New Seed

The beginning of this spring my wife and I are having our lawn seeded. One spigot is at the north end of my house with about 15,000 sq/ft to cover and the other spigot needs to cover approximately 7-10,000 sq/ft.

I am just looking for advice pertaining to a routine/patter for watering. We currently have clay, but topsoil is being brought in. I'm possibly going to buy the advanced oscillating sprinkler by gilmour (metal not plastic one). We also have a well with continuous pressure pump. The pumps psi varies depending on what I set it to, but I keep it at 60psi. We also get 25gpm.

Should I be ok on splitting two sprinklers from each spigot and watering for a period of time, then move the sprinklers to cover the rest of the area? What kind of problems may I run into with walking onto the straw with the ground wet? Any other suggestions for sprinklers/hoses/watering patterns????

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kazzawazza
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Movieman
      Replies:
      Views:

3. trencher

trencher New Seed

You should be okay watering this way but traffic on fresh grass should be avoided.

4. fred333

fred333 New Seed

I would into investing in a sprinkler system.

5. philthegardener

philthegardener New Seed

Minimal walking on the new lawn is going to be necessary. If you get it too wet you will leave tracks. I agree the ideal way if your budget allows is to install an irrigation system.

Advertisement
  6. Allison

Allison New Seed

watering

Is there a place where you could add a second spigot? The investment would be well worth it. Otherwise, keep going with the split design. Also, consider the DIY sprinkler kits they sell at home improvement stores. While more usable for flower beds they can cut down on your work for watering a lawn.

7. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Sometimes people are confused over how much you should water your lawn throughout the year. You often don't have to water it as much as you think, especially in the summer months. During the warmer months you should try and water your lawn at times when it will soak in more, for example early in the morning or later at night. It will be more beneficial for your lawn if you water it only once or twice a week when it is dry.