Watering where you live

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by camom, Jul 2, 2008.

1. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

I live in N.E. Mississippi and i water the veggie garden 3 times a week but as far as the flower beds go only when they need it prolly once a week.

2. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

At the moment here in Essex we are having so much rain, rivers are bursting their banks and flooding is becoming a risk in some areas. However, even in the midst of summer I don't water unless I really have to. I only water the pots dotted about on the deck, but the garden has to fend for itself, and I don't have any tapped water on the allotment, so I water young plants when I plant them, or seed drills as I am sowing, but that is it, I don't water again.

3. 1tallmommy

1tallmommy New Seed

I don't have to water most plants in my yard very often due to my septic tank recycles my dish, bath and laundry water, but potted plants generally get watered daily and my garden atleast once a day since there has been no rain! --Tina

4. Bluebirdie

Bluebirdie Seedling

I've been watering the flower beds twice a week with a soaker hose; the lawn never. It is getting very bad looking too! I water all my container plants at least once a day. It's hot and dry again this summer!

Martha
    Shreveport, LA

Advertisement
  5. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

my watering system is called Welsh weather like our friend in Essex we have had our share of water .....in fact my hoses are now covered by greenery and have not been used for years.

G

6. bailey

bailey Seedling

I have sprinklers that are set to automatically water every evening at 7pm until 8pm and I water the containers on the front porch and back patio/pool area with a garden hose every evening.

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Hot, humid, south Louisiana here. I am watering daily, but I rotate which beds I water, too much to do all in one day. I am losing plants left and right with these drought conditions, maybe 2 light rains in the last two months.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We are getting quite a lot of rain recently as our summer rains have started. Every day there are scattered showers. Some days they scatter elsewhere. I only have to water things in pots if it doesn't rain for two or three days as the heat dries them rather quickly. dooley

9. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I live in Cape Town and in Winter, Early Spring and Fall I do not water my garden. It is only in summer that I am compelled to water them. It gets pretty hot and I have decided to go waterwise. We often have water restrictions in summer.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I live in Wisconsin and I haven't had to water much at all this season because we have had so much rain...and hail. I do water my pots every other day unless it is a real scorcher (thats 80* for me)..so our water bills would of been lower if they wouldn't have raised the rates...they get you one way or another..

11. Ever green

Ever green New Seed

I live in Southern Ohio and have a sprinkler system set up with a that waters every other morning for me, between 7 and 8am. This way, my plants/lawn does not get scorched by the heat of the day, but it does get to dry off.

12. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

A lot of people don't actually realise this but you do not need to water a lawn as much as you may think. In fact giving your lawn too much water can often be worse than not giving it enough. When you are watering though, do it at a time when the water is more likely to sink in such as early in the morning or later at night.