Watermelon in containers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by lori_15, Sep 4, 2017.

1. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

''Tis near end of growing season in my area but I am thinking already about next year's garden.

I live in the southern part of BC known as Canadian desert. It was extremely hot here this summer as it was in many areas of BC. I was thinking of growing baby watermelons next year. But want watermelon to grow up over the top of the pot and flow down to the ground, the pot being about 12 to 14 inches high. Tho not sure of diameter yet. I can give it plenty of water with Irrigation.
    I was just wondering about all the vines that crawl along the ground which are probably going to be on small rocks which will help with all the heat watermelons require.
    Any ideas Wuld be very much appreciated.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never grown watermelons in a container, only in the garden.... that said I will just give you my opinion on the success of it... I think it will be a struggle to get even a couple of melons. if you let the plant wilt once the melons/blossoms will all drop off. fertilizing and watering is an art for container growing. you will have to try it if you want not just take my opinion as a know it all for gardening... cuz I don't know it all. I just know container gardening is a bit more work than ground gardening.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

There is a watermelon variety called "Bush Sugar Baby" which seems more adaptable to container growing. Here is a link to a YouTube video that explains how someone did it.

Watermelons are ultra-cheap around here, and absolutely delicious. In August, there are three things you just can't give away--okra, watermelons, and kittens.

We've never tried to grow them, although we have tried to give a kitten in exchange for a watermelon. FYI, it didn't work.

2ofus, Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I once grew watermelons from seed of a store-bought melon. They did just great as the groundhogs and muskrats could testify. We managed to get one.
    Carolyn, container sure is more work. My pot-grown tomatoes need twice a day watering, but they produce beautifully.

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    More important, for my area just south of you, is micro climate. I've tried watermelon a few times with such limited success I would call it no success. I am going to be comparing tomatoes and watermelon because both like consistent warm temps and moisture for production. Your climate may be different, but I am thinking west of the Cascade Mountains.

If we have a dry hot summer and early spring next year give it a try, but for hope of success find the sunny south exposure or side of a building. Because our nights are so cool (usually in the 50sF/10-15C) you will need to take that into consideration also. For this reason I haven't found pots to be as good as planting in ground in a sunny protected place. Ground temperature is important for the success of both watermelon and tomatoes .

Those in my area who are successful with tomatoes have make-shift short greenhouses that they can open up the sides once our summer weather comes. This also helps keep rain and dew off that causes mildew and helps maintain warmer ground temperatures. If you want to attempt watermelon see how those in your area are successful with tomatoes. My thinking is if you can grow tomatoes you have maybe half a chance with watermelon.

If you are successful growing the plants my main predator for the fruit has been slugs/snails. Cedar bark mulch is a good deterrent for slugs and snails and readily available in this region. Raccoons can also be a bother, but usually not until the second successful summer. Good luck.

2ofus, Growingpains and Philip Nulty like this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Jewell, thanks for the pointers. We live in a trailer park and are limited in sheltered space. Our main gardening site is the creek bank. Watermelons take up precious space and fighting Groundhogs and Muskrats makes it more sensible to buy melons from local farmers.
    I do appreciate your good advice.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    GP, I too have decided that are many things that just don't fit into my garden plans because of climate, space or eating preferences. It is much more satisfying to grow plants that do well and produce well. For me and my ecosystem blueberries, raspberries, elephant garlic and a variety of cole crops has become my mainstays. It is fun to experiment though.

Growingpains likes this.
  9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Jewell, I agree. I have decided to create a smaller garden area and concentrate my energy on growing better product of less variety.