We have coyotes..

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by katsback, Apr 6, 2007.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

And I know from pungent experience, skunks love cat food!

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

And smelling up the neighborhood.

3. hummingbird3172

hummingbird3172 In Flower

We even have them here in FL. I actually SAW one a few weeks ago. It was the first one I've ever seen in the wild. I knew they were around because I've talked to people that have heard them howling. It wasn't near any houses, it was near the Turnpike and looked scared to death. From what I've read the ONE good thing about them is that they keep the raccoon and feral cat populations down a bit, which might help protect the native bird species.

4. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

I have also found that Opossums like chicken. One night while walking by my patio door, i hear the chickens cackling and making loud noises.. one was screaming .. yes i said screaming.. LOUD.. well, so i go out with my small flashlight (since the big one was broke of course).. and look in the chicken coupe.. one chick was limping.. one was missing and one was making a cackle noise in the chick house. So, i go back telling hubby, then I hear screaming chickens again! So, this time, i actually open the door to see if i see some thing like a snake or skunk. (I didnt smell nothing so i was brave and entered).. Checked out the area inside.. found nothing.. carefully looked at top row of nests.. nothing.. looked at one of the bottom rows of nest and saw a torn up chicken. Didnt see what ate it.. I heard the other chicken as she flew around .. finally i decided to look once more and OMG... i saw a 'snake' (so i thought) it was actually the nearly 2 foot long tail (had to be 2 inches thick too!!) of a UGLY HUGE opossum!! His mouth was wide open at me. he was backed up under nieth where i could hardly see him w/out bending down really low. Sceeeeered me to death!! LOL. I ran and told hubby.. he just said...... "what am i supose to do?! I cant do nothing. I dont have a gun!" Sooooooooo I let the poor lil chickens stay out of the coupe and hope for the best the next morning. (Sorry so long)

Advertisement