Weaving Willow And Rope

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Daniel W, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Tetters .. thank you for the great ideas and pic. I think building a bird house is more my speed. It’s a lot just to harvest and pre-.cutting the scarp joint limbs off is tricky. It would help to find my drummel tool to design and build an bird house. I have one around somewhere. Yes a bird house would make a nice winter project.

Bamboo has been handy in the garden over the years. Great for the dahlias and vines and fencing out the deer. Even to use long 12’ piece to train the horses and dogs. They make great pointer tools for training dogs and horses. Even on the ATV chasing the deer I have gotten close enough to pop the ground and the noise scares the deer off.

Daniel not sure how far you are from Hillsboro Oregon… your more than welcome to all the black bamboo you want, tricky to harvest.
    Some are old enough to be black other are honey colors, or green . I will take better pics tomorrow. Here’s a few last summer they were all flowering. They look so odd…and single pic of bamboo flower… 5898E5CA-4CF4-4D82-BDD3-C2FB42981B26.jpeg 38B530CB-BAD4-4BB3-B412-C33EC4668065.jpeg 8FFB7D22-D76B-4499-BC94-50972697F2E5.jpeg 76EDDD6A-9B44-4370-8F1A-07959FA5AC35.jpeg

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Pacnor... That article says those bamboos flower like that, all over the world! And then die. Are yours dying?

Daniel W, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Yeap.. :( that’s exactly what happened. All my beautiful clump black bamboo in several areas of the garden all flowered last spring as shown in my pics above…… and as the article stated .. they all died….bummer…not even a tiny new clump survived. Was the weirdest garden experience ever. Even friends I have shared clumps with for their gardens over the years , theirs also all flowered and died . Definitely the weirdest plant phenomenon I have ever experienced. :frustrated::dizzy::shrug:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Oh no.....

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Condolences

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thanks, nice offer! But a big bunch of my timber bamboo fell over from snow. I have plenty now:)

That's fascinating about it blooming. I've read about that. Apparently, all of the divisions from the original parent plant, bloom and die at the same time, just like you described. I wonder if you can grow new ones from the seeds?

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I have some running bamboo in my small back garden, and it keeps appearing all over the place. I wish that would have a funny fit and die too. :(

8. Cayuga Morning

Yeah, maybe I'll hope mine will bloom soon too.

9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is a clever idea. I'm the pie lady for my neighbours, and transporting them is always an issue. I'd like to see how this turns out.

I've seen these crafts around Daniel, but had no idea what type of rope or cord that was. I just checked and it is something I can access. Thanks for sharing.

10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Well, here is my first attempt at a pie basket, or anything else made using cotton cord and a sewing machine.

3BDEF49D-E1DB-4F41-8E89-A937D79E6AE1.jpeg

Unfortunately, my measuring was way off, so a pie plate doesn't fit. But it was good practice, and it was fun watching the cord turn into a bowl.

I tried first with some cheap cotton thread, but it kept breaking. So I changed to quilting cotton thread. No breaks at all.

It also helped to have some books next to the sewing machine, for a flat surface at the sewing height.

8E50065A-2B93-409C-856D-4D608203F178.jpeg

I also practiced on a small piece to get the hang of it first. This was the cheap cotton thread that I stopped using.

A7988DEF-7554-4F0A-AF45-84A3CFF8B5DB.jpeg

I'll get some more cord and try again. I'm using 3/16 inch, braided 100% cotton cord, and 100% cotton thread, for durability and heat resistance.

I think the natural cotton thread blends into the cord, so the stitches almost vanish.

8F1D3F68-B3F3-4941-93C7-E9240626CC5C.jpeg

11. Cayuga Morning

Wow Daniel, that's really cool! Is it a zigzag stitch that you are using? And do you have just a regular sewing machine or is it one wish all the bells and whistles? How long did it take you to do the first (too small) pie carrier?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    Melody Mc. and eileen like this.
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Cayuga Morning , Just zigzag stitch except the beginning central coil, which I coiled up and used straight stitch in a sort of X pattern. The sewing machine is an ordinary but somewhat old Kenmore home sewing machine, I guess made in the 1980s. I didn't pay attention to the time, but that little flat disk (coaster?) was probably 30 min, the bigger bowl maybe 90 min. Once you get going, it's sort of hypnotic and time slips away.

13. Cayuga Morning

Thanks Daniel

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Here's the completed pie plate carrier,
    made from 1/4 inch cotton rope. Compared to 3/8 inch rope, more sewing is needed for the same diameter - about 50% more. I think it was a little easier to make the shape, but that might be I have more experience now.

It's a little harder for me to do the smaller stitching. I think I like 3/8 inch rope better, but either is good.

C9491C0E-22B9-4EB8-8A74-9B72DE1FCB25.jpeg

EA29B2B7-0B06-41F4-8E78-9C9BB6BA7147.jpeg

This was for 9 inch, deep dish pie plate. I think the size worked just right, and the handles will be helpful. Each handle is reinforced with a satin stitch, where the handle comes off the side of the pieplate holder.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Daniel… your amazing skills .. your never disappoint with anything you share . :smt041 Lots of great creative and positive energy flowing thru your heart …;)

Daniel W likes this.