Weed Wacker Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by bob6831, May 9, 2007.

1. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    I have a Black & Decker Cordless Week Wacker. I charge it up (maybe not fully???), and it does not seem to do a good job at all. It seems like it requires more sweeps/work to cut weeds or grass than I think it should. Does anyone know this brand.... is it just a limitation of the unit, or is there something wrong with it?
    Thx
    Bob

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Bob, I am not familiar with that brand but if a cordless weed wacker is anything like a cordless vacuum cleaner it just doesn't have as much power as a corded one does. A cordless vacuum doesn't have half the suction power of a corded one and that lack of power is basically the 'nature of the beast' so the cordless weed wacker may have the same limitation.

By the way, welcome to the Stew. Hope you decide to stay with us, lots of gardening info and friendly folk here.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think Toni has hit the nail on the head there Bob but I wanted to ask you one further question, do you find that the battery life is lasting for shorter and shorter periods? Just scratching a curiosity itch here.

5. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

A lot of times you can have one dead cell in the battery pack. If you have a volt meter, you can charge the batteries and check the voltage. Multiply the number of cells by 1.2. If you come up short, test each cell and see which one needs to be replaced. Find a local hobby shop that sells radio controlled cars and boats. They can sell you individual cells and will often install them for you.

Advertisement
  6. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    Not sure if battery is lasting less and less time, didn't use a lot last year (avoided). Will check it out with voltmeter.
    Thx for welcome.
    Will have a lot of 'gardening' questions...... like on asparagus, brambles, grapes, plum tree, etc.
    Bob

7. Dean

Dean New Seed

I have a B & D weed whacker as well with the same issue. I trim my edges on a very small area and it's pretty much dead. I wouldn't doubt if this same issue happens with any cordless whacker. My advice would be to buy a plug-in whacker, stay away from gas cause the environment doesn't need that.

8. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

I use a plug in one just for that reason. They just don't last

9. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Checked my battery pack, and is only 1 battery.
    Tryed charging it up for couple of days, and see no real difference.
    So......... am going to buy a gas powered one.
    What is the best way to go (want quality product at reasonable price).
    2 cycle, 4 cycle, Stihl? or is Craftsman/Home Depot type one good.
    Thx.
    Bob

10. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Hi Bob, and welcome by the way. Wal Mart sells a gas weed whacker called a feather light, its one of the brand names like lawnboy maybe? It is fantastic. Mine will run all day and does a great job. It only weighs about 4 lbs. so it dosen't wear you out. I have to use a gas one as my lane is 1/4 mile long and I would have to have 600 ft of ext. cord. I've had mine for like 7 years. It takes a ticking and keeps on kicking. Suggestion, what ever you buy, get a spare spool for it. Nothing like getting to the furthest point from your house and running out of line. With the spare, just snap it in and youre ready to go. You do have to mix the gas and oil on this one.

11. rockytop00

rockytop00 New Seed

Hmmm... you can get pretty good deals for some gas powered ones on ebay...

Just my 2 cents.