Weeding newly planted grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by lexxivexx, Aug 17, 2007.

1. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Should I bother with the weeds, or wait till the grass is a little sturdier before I go tromping all over it? It just started sprouting and I'm not looking forward to another full-blown weed invasion. Are there any products I could use besides my hands and dwindling energy?

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry I can't actually help you myself as I don't use chemicals in the garden so weed the hard way - by hand.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Lexxi I would go the route of Eileen and tackle weeds by hand early on as the seedlings will find it hard to cope with any chemical methods. Just try to make sure the lawn is kept healthy as it will provide lots of competition for those pesky weeds :)

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

There are no weedkillers anyway which can be used safely on newly emrged grass. Handweeding is the only way. Before you do though, wait till the grass is well through and then roll the area first. This presses the seedlings back into the soil and breaks the first leaf. Sounds brutal, but that causes the grass plant to form new leaves and become a much bushier plant, thus giving a better coverage. Then in you go with a daisygrubber and hoick out the weeds.

Advertisement
  5. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

That helps a lot! Thanks for the link too, Eileen.
    All the better not to use chemicals in my yard, since I haven't yet. Maybe I'll have Rob pull the weeds this time as a late birthday present. I've been a busy little bee and my guitar hands need their rest. lol.

6. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I've heard that this is done by laying scrap wood over the soil and standing on that to weed. Does that ring any bells with anyone else? My whole "lawn" is native prairie grass, so my experience is, well, nonexistant!

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

That is how we weeded our new lawn. Important thing is not to do it until the seedlings are well grown though.