Weeping Cherry as a Container Plant?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Shasta Daisy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Shasta Daisy

Shasta Daisy New Seed

I was curious if Weeping Cherry Snow Fountain could be grown as a container plant. Has anyone had success with this approach?
    Thanks in advance for help with this question.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You can buy a miniature version of the 'Snow Fountain' Shasta Daisy that would do well in a large patio planter or pot and be a real talking point in your garden. :-D
    These little cherry trees are really attractive with branches that flow down to the ground are are covered in small white blossoms. They even produce miniature fruits, however, they are not edible.
    They are slow growing and prefer to be planted in full sun with well drained soil. Remember not to overwater or let it dry out too much as it prefers average moisture.
    Cherry trees can be susceptible to aphids, caterpillars, scale, leaf spot and canker but if the conditions are right then these shouldn't pose too much of a problem.
    Good luck and do show us some photographs of your tree once you've planted it up.

4. Shasta Daisy

Shasta Daisy New Seed

Thanks Eileen for the helpful information. I have decided to give it a shot. At the very least I will learn something from trying. I will follow up soon with a photo.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Shasta Daisy, I am sure you will enjoy your cherry tree in its pot. What an eye catcher. :stew1: I have had a variety of trees/bushes/shrubs/grasses in pots. I have found that by starting with the best quality potting soil they maintain themselves for years quite happily in large pots that aren't too prone to drying out too fast. Like Eileen said watering is the key factor in making/keeping a happy plant. Sometimes I find container gardening with trees easier than ground planting. :stew2:
    Happy gardening.