Weirdest thing you used for a vege to climb on?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by muddypaws, Jan 27, 2012.

1. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Hi Stewbies!

My son took down (ok it really fell down) a length of his split rail fence with the chicken wire attached. I brought it home so I could use it for my peas and beans to climb up this year.

So I was wondering, what weird/different stuff have you used for your climbing veges????

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not a veggie but I have grown Gourds on a picket fence panel that was missing some of pickets, we cemented it into the ground vertically and used it as a trellis. I noticed this week that the wood had rotted at ground level and it had fallen over. Will have to re-set it this spring.

I also have an old Bentwood rocker a neighbor put to the curb a few years ago that I planned on using to grow Scarlet Runner Beans on last summer, but the hail, heat and drought sent my veggie crop to the great beyond so I will try again this year.

Oh, yeah, the cucumber trellis is made from chicken wire attached to a frame made from metal swing set poles.

4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I'm using a barbecue grate (the large one) for cucs. This year i'm going to use it for snap beans..

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

When I saw this post, I quickly grab my camera to snap a photo of my natural trellis for my luffa. Cink!! cink!!cink!! it just wouldn't capture any pictures???????? Hmmm....... I am using a dead tree as a trellis ....aarrghhhhh why my camera have to die on me now!!!!

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Funny you should ask.

[​IMG]
    Todays project. A Frame for a swing ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    It's now a trellis in waiting. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

DeepWoods and carolyn like this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I moved an old clothesline (metal T's sunk in cement) to my veggie garden years ago. One end has a grape on it and the other end gets to support a rotation of tomatoes, green beans and peas. Also love using any old fence posts and scrap lumber or fresh cuttings of bamboo. 6 foot metal fence posts I've also used for decades. Easy to pound into the ground and easy to move in our loamy soil. They were probably one of my best finds.

[​IMG]
    vegie garden going perennial ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Now I'm wishing I hadn't passed on that old swing set after seeing your post Donna. Way cool!

8. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Wow! Love the ideas. Especially the swingset!

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

[​IMG]
    Tree Trellis! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

After a minor surgery and some poking here and there I managed to get my very old camera going again.

I do not know why this tree died, it just started to dry out one day and I did all I could to save it but was unable to do so. I decided not to cut it down since it is still sturdy. While looking at it one day I thought it would be a excellent trellis for a luffa plant because the luffa spread quite a bit. This plant is a little over 5 weeks and it is already more than 10 feet!

Jewell likes this.
  10. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

KK Ng:
    That is the perfect thing for that luffa...already 10ft tall? Great Growing....please send updates..I would love to see this during the spring/summer...but then again you may want to get another camera....LOL....great pic though!!

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm using and old child safety gate for my peas. :D So far that's the weirdest thing I've used, but I'm open to suggestions. :D

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I think the camera will last for a while and I will definately update. I am hoping for more luffas this way because my normal method only result in 5 luffas at the most. :D

13. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

PVC pipe, fiberglass electric fence posts, last years dried stalks from lilies, and whatever else I can find.

Gonna try PVC pipe with the fiberglass rods this year. 6 foot PVC with rods in between to keep them separated and tie the PVC together at the top.

Last year I used the PVC with cloths line wire strung through small holes drilled in it. Did really well to support my heavy tomatoes but it wasn't enough to really support the stems when they got longer.

I may also try the bench trellis I saw a couple years ago for my cucumbers and zucchini.