What affects strawberry sweetness and flavor?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by daisybeans, Jun 3, 2010.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

A friend asked me a question about strawberries... Actually, she asked YOU all a question about strawberries :D !

What affects the sweetness of strawberries? Are there things we can do as they grow that affect the sweetness and overall flavor of the berries? Or, are some varieties just sweeter than others? Anyone have any suggestions for favorite strawberry types?

The reason she asked is that her new plant is bearing strawberries that look beautiful but are not especially flavorful. My plants are bearing tasty sweet berries every day, but they are tiny little things. I think I'll add another variety for next year. They're really fun to grow.

Thank you, GS friends!

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

It can be because of the variety she planted or soil or dry weather. Many things can affect flavor. Would be difficult to pinpoint one distinct thing. If hers are in good soil and well watered it is probably the type of strawberry. Strawberries that are too dry tend to not be as juicy or as sweet.
    I can only speak for the type I have growing. Sequoia are fairly large and very sweet. Allstar are a bit smaller but are sweet as well. Those are the ones I have. I would recommend Sequoia over the Allstar. Both adapt readily to a good sandy soil with a bit of compost added.

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I have to say soil and sun. There is something in our soil here that makes strawberries have a sweetness i have never tasted anywhere else. We get strawberries from africa, nederland, france, all over, but the skandinavian berries are distinct in taste. Extreme sweetness. I believe it is selenium (?) in the soil that makes the difference. Also the amount of sun we get here, or i should say daylight is also a factor. Up north, 24 hours a day, non stop. In the south 22 hours a day. But since the sun comes from different angles all day long its not always intense sun all at one time.

So yeah, i would say soil and daylight, or sun.

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm going to pass this info on to her. She can think about the light and amount of water on her berries, maybe add a different variety. It's one of those trial and error things, sounds like. But worth asking! Thank you!

Bita, that's interesting about your soil and the sweetness of the berries. Reminds me of how soil affects the taste of grapes used for winemaking, you know?