What are you having for dinner ??

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by mart, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes indeedy, Mel.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Spicy black bean bake with smoked paprika and lots of garlic and cheese, plus funeral potatoes, plus fig nut bars made from my own figs.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Daniel W - Hey Buddy...what are funeral potatoes?

4. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Hi Mel :smt039

Funeral potatoes are sort of like scalloped potatoes. They are fluffy and very rich. Apparently the name comes from the LDS community or from Southern tradition. They took them to funeral dinners, an easy and comfort food casserole. My recipe used a thawed bag of shredded hash browns, a can of cream of mushroom soup, lots of butter, cheese, onion flakes, and corn flakes. This is the recipe -

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/funeral-potatoes/

I wonder if the amount of butter and sour cream could be cut in half? The buttered corn flake topping is VERY tasty. I could see doing that on a noodle casserole.

Melody Mc. likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Ahhhhhhh :) :) . Thank you Daniel. I make a version of this - we call it cheesy potatoes. I haven't used minced onion, I'll try that. Right now I dice an onion and microwave it in the butter until it's softened, then everyone into the pool. Minced would be much easier. I've never heard of the cornflake topping. I can eat cornflakes, so that will be on the list for next town trip. When it's just Hubby and me, I make this with sweet potatoes so that I can eat it. Very tasty.

**side note: I picked up a cereal spoon for Hubby for Christmas...it says "Cereal Killer" and has a skull and crossbones on it. :snicker: I think I actually bought it for me.:chuckle:

Daniel W likes this.
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Chicken cordon bleu with a mushroom brandy sauce, baby beet greens, garlic parmesan spaghetti squash and a wee salad.

dinner.jpg

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I'm making g cheesy broccoli soup. I'll probably add a few potatoes, from the garden too. I'll make a bread braid to go with it. Soup goes well on a rainy day. My granddaughter is going to a friend's birthday party today and spending the night. So I'm on my own to pick up one of her Christmas gifts. It was the last thing except for little stocking stuffers.

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Willow - that sounds delicious. Cheesy Broccoli soup is something I've always wanted to try but never have. It sounds so good. Is it a difficult one to make?

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

No it's really easy. I saute some onions until clear then add grated carrots and minced garlic. The carrots cook fast because they're grated. Add a few tablespoons of flour. Mix until it's coated everything. Add chicken or vegetable stock (I use vegetable because I got this recipe from Laurel's Kitchen cookbook it's a vegetarian cookbook). Bring it to a boil, then add half and half and turn the heat down. When that has started to simmer add the chopped broccoli. I usually wait to grate the cheese until this point, so it won't dry out. When the broccoli is cooked add the cheese and stir until it's melted. If I add potatoes I do it when I add the broth and cook a little longer before adding the half and half. Sorry I don't have the amounts, I looked in my, "New Laurels Kitchen" cookbook and it doesn't have the recipe. My mom got the new one for me when she saw my original was being held together with a rubber band and I had to carefully open it so pages didn't fall out. I kept it for several years but it was lost in one of my state to state moves or I may have decided to just keep the new one. Back in the day, when I was vegetarian, I lived by that cookbook. Hence the reason it was falling apart.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That looks really tasty, Mel. Yum! I could go for that right now!

That soup sounds very tasty to me. Willow.

Tonight we will have chicken, own beans and a cheesy pasta sort (cheese tortellini’s).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Melody Mc. likes this.
  11. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Thanks Sjoerd, yes I forgot to add the ground mustard and paprika, in tho post. I completely forgot about it until I went to put some herbs away and found them in the wrong cupboard. I put my homegrown herbs in one cupboard (they're in canning jars) and store bought in another. I like totellini. But my granddaughter doesn't, which is weird. She loves ravioli! I don't know if it's the less filling or too much pasta.
    I just went to my basement and picked some lemon gem marigolds seeds. The whole plant has gone to seed.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you for sharing that Willow. I'm going to add that to my winter try list. I like that there are carrots. :)

13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Tonight is GF macaroni salad, with chopped cukes, toms, green onion and celery. And some hickory BBQ chicken thighs on the grill.

14. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I roasted some winter squash last night. I was going to make some gingered squash and apple soup tonight. But after mailing some packages and stopping at the store on the way home; I'll be making it tomorrow. I did sit down and relax while watching a Dr Who Special episode (part 1). 6 more days and we're off until January 2 (but who's counting). I am so ready!

15. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

What is the GF?