What are you having for dinner ??

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by mart, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Curried shrimp over brown rice & side of steamed broccoli. And naan for bread. And some white wine.

2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

CM sounds delightful. I haven’t had shrimp or lobster tail in ages. Hard to find .\some crab is $50.00 a lb at the grocery store.

Cayuga Morning, Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hahahaha. Nothing wrong with lots to love. :) I have a wheat allergy, so eventhough I make my own flour and do GF pasta from time to time, I most often use veggies instead. My lasagna ( as opposed to hubby's) is with sheets of Zucchini ran lengthwise through the mandolin, grilled to get the moisture out, and then lots of layers of the grilled zucchini for the noodle replacement. There is still a wee bit of moisture but not wet like a raw veg and it holds together really well.

I had zucchini noodles last night while he had the carbonara. I don't blanch them anymore when I freeze them, quick dip into the hot pot pool, then out into a colander for a few hours. A bit of a pat dry. Seems to be the only way I can get them to hold together so that they behave like pasta and not stay wet on the plate.

I'd really like to know how the attachment works out for you DM. Especialy for the butternut squash. Might be something I would be interested in also. :) Keep us posted?

4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Pics Promised! Imagine a giant sweet potato sheet 10 feet long. This has catastrophe written all over it!

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

ermmmm...cut into thin strips, that also has deep fryer written all of it :scheming: :DSweet potato nests......:rolleyes: Love a sweet potato cut up with a potato peeler into ribbons and a quick deep fry ( doesn't really fit on the healthy veggie bus does it ) hahaha. I'll look forward to pics - thanks! Very exciting stuff. :)

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

French Onion Soup made with homemade beef stock, a blend of the Stuttgarter yellow onions and the Spanish Onions, and the last of the raspberry wine. I'm baking an extra baguette for hubby for dipping.

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Mel… raspberry wine is a nice touch. I use walla wallla onions only grown in the state of Washington . Lots of boiling down use any red wine veggie broth .

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you Pacnor. Yes - it's an all morning project to give it the caramelizing and reduction love. I used to buy Walla Wallas for this dish, but they are far too costly up here now. $4.00 an onion average, sometimes up to $6.00 an onion for the nice big ones. The Spanish Onions that I grew from seed are a sweet onion called "Candy" - not as mild as a Walla Walla but very comparable. They worked well, espcially mixed with a few of the bolder yellow onions. Great for onion rings too :) Walla Wallas are a treat once the garden onions are gone. I buy one and make it last ;)

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

The musical fruit for dinner tonight - Maple baked beans with roast pork, and a salad. I have some fresh farm eggs, so I'm going to try @Logan 's idea of an egg with the beans. :)

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Walla walla onions are very tasty. I buy as many as I can and chop up in small pieces, place on a cookie sheet, spread out in a single layer and they freeze great. Place in a freezer bag once frozen.Then have them thru the winter.

Logan likes this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Good idea Melody :)

Melody Mc. likes this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I had tinned tomatoes on toast with a fried egg and fruity brown sauce, hubby had a fried egg toast sandwich and a sausage toast sandwich with brown sauce.

Tetters, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

My Dad used to poach an egg in a tin of stewed tomatoes, and have it with toast. I haven't heard of it since :) I may have to give this a bash now Logan.

Logan likes this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's great, yes you can poach an egg like that, I've poached an egg in a casserole before, make sure that it's hot before you put the egg in and cook it a bit more. Used to have a egg poacher that's good as well.
    799236457.jpg

15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Used to have a sandwich toaster but it went out of fashion in our house.
    IMG_20221112_201134_(864_x_864_pixel).jpg

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.