What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

What book's pages are you currently turning at the moment? Thriller, drama, comedy, romance? Is it any good?

Let us know about it.

Logan likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

The 1965 edtion of ABC & XYZ of Bee Keeping by A I Root first published in about 1915.
    Very good book, deals with all aspects of beekeeping except the mite problem of today which came about in the 1980's.
    I highly recommend this book. The same book by Roger Morse is OK but mostly a recap Of Roots book with a bit about the mites throwen in.

I find I like older books and find them thru bookfinder.com

:D Al

4. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

what are you reading at the moment

I got a great christmas present . The naming of names (the search for order in the world of plants) by Anna Pavord ISBN 0747579520 published by Bloomsbury. This is my type of book, Ive been a gardener for thirty five years and have always been interested in the names and history of plants , their origons ,uses, Whether horticultural, agricultural , medicinal. This book gives in precise detail the origons of the naming of plants from the beginings of time to the present day. It is extremely well presented with lots of excellent plates . I have no doubt it will become a classic and a collectors item. Start at the begining or open up on any page----- a must have for any gardening library. Bugs 8)

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have lots of gardening books, mostly for reference. You guys seem to be doing some heavy reading. I'm reading an Andrew Greeley book, a book called "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt, a fiction book on vampires and a thriller. I'm only reading two or three at a time because they are in different places in the house and when I sit down I pick one up. I'm also reading a seed catalog. Territorial Seed Company from Cottage Grove, Oregon. I got it and a gift certificate from my son for Christmas. I have ordered from them before. I told Brian I want a greenhouse for my birthday. One made from that heavy plastic sheeting will do. He's drawing up plans. Dooley

Advertisement
  6. i love bugs

Hi Dooley , Its great to hear your reading Frank McCourts new book Teacher Man.It has got great reviews here in Ireland. I would be very interested in your opinion on it. One of my hobbies is collecting books(around 3500 at the last count) they are mostly gardening ,nature , Ist editions. I dont take it to seriously, I just enjoy reading . Looking forward to your review. Bugs

7. i love bugs

Another christmas present 8) , The Royal Horticultural Society s , Treasury of Garden Writing , selections by Charles Elliot . ISBN 711225222 .These are selections of garden writing by some of the greatest writers and gardeners in history. Most of these essays are one to two pages long . It is beautifully illustrated and is a fine coffee table book. The sort you can dip into , read a page or two and leave. Bugs

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Teacher Man

I finished Frank McCourt's book "Teacher Man" today. I have also read Angela's Ashes and 'Tis. I enjoyed them all. He didn't think he was a good teacher, but I would have like him for a teacher. He seemed to bring out the good in the kids. He seems to bring out the "Irish" in me. I could relate to many things he said. I have never been out of the United States but I would like to visit Ireland. Of course, I probably will not because you can't get there and keep your feet on dry land. Anyway it was a great book and I enjoyed reading it. It makes me wish he had started earlier when he had time to write a lot more books. Dooley

9. i love bugs

Hi Dooley, thanks for the review , its sounds good so I will probably get it (the teacher man). I ve seen a few interviews with Frank McCourt and he is very entertaining. I ve read Angelas Ashes and enjoyed it , its quite a dark book , probably because of all the rain :D I can assure you that we dont have rain here all the time :D Its a nice day here today , sunny , good gardening day. Thanks again , regards Bugs[/quote]

10. i love bugs

Another Christmas present, Alleluia America! by Carole Coleman
    (An Irish Journalist in Bush Country) ISBN 190414876X. An enjoyable read. her journey takes her from Washington D C to Munroe , Georgia; from Annapolis to Delia , Kansas; from Salt lake City to Intercourse , Pennsylvania: and from Midland, Texas to Guantanimo Bay. this is an interesting book written by someone who is not on George W. Bushes list of favourite people to invite back to the White House. Red versus blue ,This gives an outsiders perspective . Regardless of politics i would love to get other views 8) Regards Bugs

11. Newdaawn

Newdaawn New Seed

The Last Promise

I just received 7 new books I had ordered from Barnes and Noble - So I am reading "The Last Promise" right now - by Richard Paul Evans. So far I am finding it engaging. It takes place in Italy, in the countryside out side of Florence. I can feel myself transported their by his writing. The order of 7 books also contains another one by the same author. He wrote "The Christmas Box" which may be a familiar title to some of you.

This is a novel.

One book that has stayed in my mind, that I read about 2 years ago is
    "The Saga of the Mitford Sisters" by Mary Lovell. It is a true story of the Mitford family of England before, during, and after WW2. Excellent book!

12. i love bugs

The Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan . I picked this out of a skip (dumpster ? ) at the local recycling centre . I cant put it down . Its about the race to Berlin in 1945 and the lives of the ordinary people involved . 8) Bugs

13. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

The book Im reading right now, has nothing to do with gardening.

Im reading "The Passover Plot" by Dr Hugh J Schonfeild.

My brother gave it to me to read. He is all into the conspircy thing. Its boring and I can bearly get through it. I use it at night when I cant sleep. Im sleeping like a baby within mins. :D

14. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I'm re-reading 'Zulu - With Some Guts Behind It' by Sheldon Hall. A fantastic book covering the making of the epic film 'Zulu'. As this is the film that got me interested in the AZW many years ago, being able to read about the whole process, the script, actors, filming, etc., is absolutely brilliant.

C.J.

15. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

This forum! HAHA! J/k

Im reading the Dark Side By Stephan King.

16. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I just started looking through a couple of gardening books that were stuck on one of the back shelves in our homeschool room, Landscaping With Herbs by Nancy Ondra , and A Year Along The Garden Path by Ann Lovejoy.