What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I have finished 2 books this last week.
    "The Lucky One" by Nicholas sparks, good read.

The second is "I Hate My Life" by Randi Bolton.

Randi is my daughters best friend. They grew up together from K -12. Randi spent a lot of time at our house as a kid. We called her our other daughter. They where in each others weddings and have stayed close for 40 years.
    This last year she wrote this book and it broke my heart, and made me cry when I read it. It's a true story of her life as a kid. I just kept saying over and over why did I not know she was being abused.
    She's working on her 3rd. book now, but having a very hard time as she has MS.

2. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I've just finished 'Standing in the Rainbow' by Fannie Flagg,my favourite author. I thought I had read all her novels but this was a charity shop surprise. "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop cafe" is my all-time favourite read and film.

After not having picked up a novel for quite a while I've just started 'Purple Hibiscus' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie- which despite the title is not gardening related but a story set in modern day Nigeria. I have no idea about the story,yet.

Update: Once I'd got past the first 2 chapters I couldn't put it down...the content wasn't what I was expecting but very moving.

3. oubee

oubee In Flower

Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon

4. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

My wife has gotten me addicted to Nevada Barr's Diane Pidgeon series. They are crime mystery stories that take place in our National Parks. She is a Ranger cop and every book takes place in a different park. I'm on my 3rd book and all have been great so far!

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    It is always a time of self reflection for me this time of year. It must be something about the beauty of lengthening days. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz if my current book.

6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Well, at the moment... gardenstew :)
    Me being a Batchelor of "Letters"... I kinda should read books. But I don't.
    I am much more attracted to movies and documentaries.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I just finished The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout. I thought it was very good & will propose it to my book club when it is my turn.

I have just start reading Zoli by Colum McCann for that same book club. It is about a gypsy girl in Slovakia in the 1930's.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am presently reading the 5th book by Sarah Addison Allen Lost Lake. I like all of her books, they have a somewhat mystical touch to them, nothing really far out but more like you would think "Aunt Sadie used to do that" or "I have heard the great-grandma Zoe was like that too"

Easy reads and light stories.

9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Yesterday (Wednesday, 05FEB14) during one of my irregular visits to my local LIBRARY, I discovered a couple of new novels by/of Patricia Cornwell, so checked out and began reading 'The Bone Bed..'
    Being aware of this thread prompted me to take inventory of my 'reading' for the year of 2013; during last year I read 102 books by 18 various authors.. Seems like a lot of reading but that is one of the things I enjoy doing and minor health concerns kept me inside a lot..
    Good Luck & Good Reading, Hank..

10. Cayuga Morning

Capt Kirk--My brother reads that series as well & enjoys it.

11. CariAnn88

CariAnn88 Seedling

The unremarkable heart by Karin Slaughter

12. JamieJTW

JamieJTW New Seed

Has anybody read any of the Jack Reacher books? I'm thinking about starting the series

13. Cayuga Morning

Jamie--No I have not heard of that.

My book club is now reading Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson, a NY Times Book Review best books of the year. It's wonderful. Both a coming of age novel and a looking back at one's life in one's 60's. I recommend it. I'll let you know what the book club thinks about it.

I have also been enjoying books by David Downing, Pottsdam Station, Selisean Station etc. They are set in WWII Germany and are part mystery, part intrigue with a heaping dollop of history.

Hank--It sounds like you are a great reader. What kinds of books do you enjoy?

14. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Ahhh, CM, a great reader, huh? Well, if volume contributes to that rating then maybe I qualify...
    What kinds of books do I enjoy?? Tough question for me to answer as I like a rather wide variety
    of kinds, styles, etc... Some 'horse-feathers and gunsmoke' westerns by just a few authors, Louis L'Amour,
    Will Henry, Elmer Kelton, et al; I'm a bit of a U.S. CIVIL WAR buff so have read several biographies of the
    major players in that drama, and recently Jane (MarlinGardener) posted to this thread that she was reading
    Shelby Foote's Three volume set 'The Civil War' thus reminding me that Mr Foote was an author that I
    wanted to research so I did and went out (actually, went on line) and bought several of his books including ''The Civil War" and am
    currently reading 'Shiloh' and 'Beleaguered City'..
    James L. Burke
    Alafair Burke (James' daughter, pretty good writer herself; that apple didn't fall too far from the tree)
    Kathy Reich
    Nicholas Sparks
    James Patterson
    Patricia D. Cornwell
    W.E.B. Griffin
    Nora Roberts
    Debbie Macomber
    That list is about 1/3 of the authors that I read or have read but will give an idea of the type of books/novels
    that I read..
    Hank

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hank, which of the Nora Roberts books have you read? I haven't read her J.D.Robb books but they are supposed to be pretty good.