What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

I read one of the 'J.D. ROBB' novels, 'Naked in Death'; I didn't care for it because of the futuristic theme/setting, sort of sci-fi, although the story was definitely human and not bad at all.. I was put off by the sci-fi stuff, flying cars, etc. ..
    I had to check my reading log to answer your question about which of Nora Roberts' books have I read and the count was thirty (30)!.. I have steered clear of her writings of ghosts, goblins, and witches...
    The books touching on Ireland and horses I liked a lot, also liked the books set on the mid-Atlantic coast...
    NOTE: Quite a number of her novels are parts of a series and I highly recommend that you read them in chronological order (publication or copyright date)..
    Get the DVD of 'Montana Sky', the movie makers did a pretty good job of transferring that Nora Roberts story to the screen..
    Hank

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Hank,

Of the list you have provided, I have read: Nicholas Sparks James Patterson & Patricia D. Cornwell.

You might enjoy Ian Rankin. He does a series. Also, as I have already mentioned, David Downing.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The only think I seem to read much of anymore is a veg. catalog. No books for me...otherwise I get NOTHING else done.

Henry Johnson and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just finished reading 41. It's a biography of George H.W. Bush written by his eldest son George W. Bush.
    Not political except that it gives explanations of why the 41st president did what he did.

It's not the typical 'tell all' book that children of famous people feel compelled to write. This one is written by a loving son about his Dad....Mom (Barbara) gets a few good lines thrown in too, her humor and outspokenness is great.

It starts with George H.W. being shot down in the Pacific during WWII and ends with his short but sweet speech at the dedication of his son's presidential library in 2012.
    He just had his 90th birthday last Spring, celebrated with another parachute jump. He and Barbara will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary this year and are the longest married presidential couples in U.S. history (John and Abigail were married 54 years)
    John and John Quincy Adams are the only other father and son to become presidents.

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Dave McWaters

Dave McWaters New Seed

I'm looking forward to reading that book whenever it makes it to my Library.. I like biographies, generally speaking..
    Dave

6. Gilly

Gilly New Seed

I've just finished James Patterson's The Quickie (wowie....didn't expect THAT ending!!!) and have just started The Butterfly Isles by Patrick Barkham.

It's about how he spent 2009 trying to see all 59 species of British butterfly and I'm already four chapters in and completely engrossed! There's a few butterflies I would like to attempt to see this year myself so I plan to spend a LOT more time outdoors.

7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Just finished 'A REDBIRD CHRISTMAS' by Fannie Flagg (vvho is really Patricia Neal); began reading the book about 09:30 a.m. and finished about 20:30 (08:30 p.m....... Quite a good read in my opinion, NO PROFANITY, vvhich vvas a pleasant surprise..
    Hank

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

But not the Patricial Neal who was in The Day the Earth Stood Still and who was married to Roald Dahl. Fannie Flagg had to change her name when she got into show business because there already was a Patricia Neal in the business.

9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Thank you, Toni, even though I 'googled' her I obviously didn't read the information thoroughly as I didn't pick up on that fact...! ! !
    Since the 'REDBIRD' post I have read 'The Sugar Camp Quilt' by Jennifer Chiaverini, pretty good yarn.. Am currently reading 'All Day and a Night' by Alafair Burke vvho turns out yarns comparable to her Dad, James Lee Burke...
    Hank

10. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Just started reading A Big Little Life by Dean Koontz.
    I'm already almost done. A great book.

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I now have a big stack of books sitting by my recliner chair. I buy used books at the thrift shop and today I brought home four books from the bookshelf at the Senior Center here in Oshkosh. You can bring them home, read them and then take them back. You can bring other books, too, so I may take some of that stack after I finish them. But, I'm finding when I have time to read I come and sew shopping bags. I make reusable shopping bags and take them on the bus when we go out and give them to the bus drivers and the regulars that are always on the bus. We ride the bus daily as we don't have a vehicle since we moved here in March. dooley

zuzu's petals and Frank like this.
  12. kate

kate In Flower

I bought four soft back books for £3.00,

All by the same author about the same girl so the story carries on.

I bought them at the Hospice shop.

K

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I am lucky enough to have two of Dooley's bags--believe me, they are sturdy, attractive, and so very, very useful!
    Right now I'm re-reading for the third (or fourth?) time Shelby Foote's Civil War. I have a fairly extensive library of Civil War books, and re-read them periodically. That war did define what the USA became.

14. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm a Louis L'Amour fan and have all of his books and have been re-reading them lately.

15. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I just finished An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski. Great read.